Should I use diet pills for years?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I use diet pills for years?

I need to lose a lot of weight but I don't want to do a drastic diet so I'll likely lose it really slow. So say I lose on average 2 pounds per week, that means I'll lose 24 pounds per year. So if I have to keep going for 2 to 3 years, is it ok that I keep using a diet pill during all that time? Will I need to change diet pills over time because it's not good to use the same one?

That's a really good question. It probably would depend on the diet pill and what's in it and whether or not your body will continue to respond to the same ingredients in the same way. I've heard of some stories of people who take certain supplements or drugs over the long term and eventually they lose their effectiveness. I don't know if this applies to all ingredients or just certain things. This is probably a good question for your doctor.

Comment

I guess you could probably use them for a long time if it doesn't tell you that you can't but I think you're probably supposed to take a short break from pills aren't you? Also, hopefully you won't need to take them that long because once you've made better changes to your diet and improved your exercise, maybe you won't need them anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
        I guess you could probably use them for a long time if it doesn't tell you that you can't but I think you're probably supposed to take a short break from pills aren't you? Also, hopefully you won't need to take them that long because once you've made better changes to your diet and improved your exercise, maybe you won't need them anymore.
        I agree. I'm sure it's fine for a long enough time and all, but hopefully you'll have set the habits by 2 or 3 years and wouldn't need them because they'd just be a natural part of your life. Otherwise, won't you struggle to maintain the weight loss? I think they're meant to be used as a tool to make it easier to set habits that you'll then use over the long term. Otherwise, you're planning to use these forever. Think of them as a learning tool like training wheels. Just use them until you can do it on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post

I agree. I'm sure it's fine for a long enough time and all, but hopefully you'll have set the habits by 2 or 3 years and wouldn't need them because they'd just be a natural part of your life. Otherwise, won't you struggle to maintain the weight loss? I think they're meant to be used as a tool to make it easier to set habits that you'll then use over the long term. Otherwise, you're planning to use these forever. Think of them as a learning tool like training wheels. Just use them until you can do it on your own.
          Agreed. Diet pills should be used as tools, not as a crutch. If you feel you need to take a diet pill for years...something's not right and you should either find a new pill or you might need to change your weight loss strategy.

Comment

I wouldn't.
            It definitely can destroy your inner body parts, and they will do it for a little bit every day, but CONSTANTLY.

Comment

Working...
            X