Gummies instead of pills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gummies instead of pills

I'm starting to see a lot of vitamins and even diet pills sold as gummies - just like candies - instead of pills like capsules, caplets, tablets and all that. Are they as good? Can I really eat a raspberry flavored candy every day and lose weight easier?

I don't think so. I think they're more hype than anything else. Plus, I imagine that gummies and candies have more sugar other ingredients added to them so they don't taste horrible, which a pill typically doesn't need cause you just swallow it. Also, I always feel like when it comes to things you need to chew, I feel like you might not consume the whole thing...gummies really get stuck in my teeth!

Comment

I think whether or not they are beneficial has to do with their ingredients, who makes them, and how committed you are to taking them as directed. For the most part, I'd say that they probably won't be that useful, but this can be said for a lot of OTC product for weight loss, pills, too. If you're interested in taking them and you're not allergic to any of the ingredients pr they won't be a problem for any health condition or medications you're taking, there's likely no harm in trying them out to see if you notice any benefits. Who knows? Maybe they'll give you want you want that you'll find beneficial for your dieting and exercising efforts! That said, it would be pretty cool if eating gummies would help with weight loss!
      Last edited by BabyButtons; 04-02-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
        I think whether or not they are beneficial has to do with their ingredients, who makes them, and how committed you are to taking them as directed. For the most part, I'd say that they probably won't be that useful, but this can be said for a lot of OTC product for weight loss, pills, too. If you're interested in taking them and you're not allergic to any of the ingredients pr they won't be a problem for any health condition or medications you're taking, there's likely no harm in trying them out to see if you notice any benefits. Who knows? Maybe they'll give you want you want that you'll find beneficial for your dieting and exercising efforts! That said, it would be pretty cool if eating gummies would help with weight loss!
        You're probably right that it's the other ingredients you need to watch for. I mean, even if you get all the same nutrients from it, if you're giving yourself an extra dose of sugar every day like you were eating candy, or if you get the ones with artificial sugars and flavors, then you're eating those unwanted chemicals. I don't know about the nutrition, but unless I really wasn't able to swallow pills, I probably would leave the gummies alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

You're probably right that it's the other ingredients you need to watch for. I mean, even if you get all the same nutrients from it, if you're giving yourself an extra dose of sugar every day like you were eating candy, or if you get the ones with artificial sugars and flavors, then you're eating those unwanted chemicals. I don't know about the nutrition, but unless I really wasn't able to swallow pills, I probably would leave the gummies alone.
          I'd leave them alone too. Honestly, I think there's way more of a risk of eating them like candy...plus,I agree with you Bethie, they probably have sugar or some type of sweetener or sugar alternative...and honestly, I don't know about you, but I typically eat enough crap in the day with the food I ingest, I don't need to add additional sugar into the mix.

Comment

I don't get it. Why would gummies be less effective than pills. If they take the same ingredients and jam them in gelatin with some strawberry flavor, even if they have sugar in them, it's probably not more than 10 calories, max. How is that bad? I'm really curious. does gelatin not work as good? I'd think chewing them up would make it easier to get into your blood stream than a tablet that might not digest.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
              I don't get it. Why would gummies be less effective than pills. If they take the same ingredients and jam them in gelatin with some strawberry flavor, even if they have sugar in them, it's probably not more than 10 calories, max. How is that bad? I'm really curious. does gelatin not work as good? I'd think chewing them up would make it easier to get into your blood stream than a tablet that might not digest.
              I agree! I don't see the difference either. Plus, some pills have gelatin in their ingredients, too, so I don't see the difference. I think that either something works or it doesn't, but I don't think that one form of it is any less effective than another. If that were the case, how would doctors be able to prescribe chewables and liquid medicines as alterantives to pills? As long as the dosage is right, why does the form matter??

Comment

I think it's just the same as with all supplements. Some gummies are good. Some gummies aren't. Some pills are good. Some aren't.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                  I think it's just the same as with all supplements. Some gummies are good. Some gummies aren't. Some pills are good. Some aren't.
                  You're probably right.
                  It's all about person's personal preferences.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I've been curious about these. I think I might try a multivitamin in gummy form and see if I like that and then consider if I'd want something else in that form. It just seems like such a fun way to be healthy!

Comment

Working...
                    X