Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is a lap band better than prescription diet pills?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is a lap band better than prescription diet pills?

If you're going to go for an obesity treatment anyway, isn't it better to go for something like a lap band instead of prescription diet pills They both might have side effects but at least the lap band actually stops you from wanting to eat too much so you can diet right. You never know what you'll get from the results of diet drugs.

What in the world is a lap band?

Comment

It's a type of surgery where an adjustable silicone band placed around the top part of the stomach to restrict food intake.

Bean which one is better depends on a couple of factors in my opinon 1 - is cost. For some people, it may be more affordable to take the drugs than the get the procedure. 2 - I'm not sure eveyone is a candidate for the procedure. That being said, I actually do think that the lap band may be a better choice for some people, because I don't think the side effects are really that bad (at least not when it's done right and you follow what you're suppose to do right) and I'm of the mind that if you don't have to take drugs, it's better not to.

Comment

I don't really think they're the same category. It's like trying to compare the best skin care routine to plastic surgery. Apples and oranges. Yes, they're both fruit, but an orange pie wouldn't be very good, nor would a slice of apple floating in your water. Ultimately, they're meant for the same goal, but not necessarily for the same people. Also, they have far different risks and side effects. THey're not even necessarily both available to the same people.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
          I don't really think they're the same category. It's like trying to compare the best skin care routine to plastic surgery. Apples and oranges. Yes, they're both fruit, but an orange pie wouldn't be very good, nor would a slice of apple floating in your water. Ultimately, they're meant for the same goal, but not necessarily for the same people. Also, they have far different risks and side effects. THey're not even necessarily both available to the same people.
          Precisely. Listen to brightstar, she knows what she's talking about. Swallowing a pill and surgery are not the same thing, even if the point to both is to achieve the same goal. There are goods and bads to both and this is something you really need to research, learn about and address with your doctor. Not every treatment is ideal for everyone, which is why so many different options are available. All that said, I do hope you find the one that works best for you!

Comment

I don't trust the lap band. I'd go for prescription diet drugs or some other treatment or surgery. There's something about the lap band that seems like it's still experimental or something. It's like those balloons that have been approved by the FDA but that are really causing dangerous problems in people.

Comment

Originally posted by PamelaPoison View Post
              I don't trust the lap band. I'd go for prescription diet drugs or some other treatment or surgery. There's something about the lap band that seems like it's still experimental or something. It's like those balloons that have been approved by the FDA but that are really causing dangerous problems in people.
              I agree! I also think it seems dangerous to have device (balloons or otherwise) inserted into your body and left there...it seems like too much can go wrong. I mean, what if the thing comes a part or dislodges or whatever...the risk of something going wrong with these surgeries seem way more unsafe and problematic than drugs. I mean, if you run into issues with the drugs, the symptoms might suck and be hard but at least you can stop taking drugs....that's a whole lot easier than having to get something removed from your body!

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post

I agree! I also think it seems dangerous to have device (balloons or otherwise) inserted into your body and left there...it seems like too much can go wrong. I mean, what if the thing comes a part or dislodges or whatever...the risk of something going wrong with these surgeries seem way more unsafe and problematic than drugs. I mean, if you run into issues with the drugs, the symptoms might suck and be hard but at least you can stop taking drugs....that's a whole lot easier than having to get something removed from your body!
                I feel the same way. I'm not against something like a lap band but I think it should be a very last resort if nothing else works despite the person doing their best on every level.

Comment

Originally posted by KATIE77

OMG, I didn't know about it since I visited this thread Yikes. Why people would do that?
                  Right?! I'm going to assume it's a last resort thing. I can't imagine doing that unless I thought there wasn't another option because nothing else worked.

Comment

I thought a lap band wasn't a very invasive procedure and was far less likely to cause problems than gastric band or stomach stapling (bariatric?) surgery. Did I misunderstand the difference between the two?

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
                      I thought a lap band wasn't a very invasive procedure and was far less likely to cause problems than gastric band or stomach stapling (bariatric?) surgery. Did I misunderstand the difference between the two?
                      It's not AS invasive, but it's still invasive. Have you seen the Last WEek Tonight about medical devices? Not a lot of testing has to go into them, even when they're internal devices. Even hip replacements and things like that. Essentially, they're not pulled off the market until they cause tons of issues in tons of people. I'd rather not be that guinea pig.

Comment

Originally posted by PamelaPoison View Post

It's not AS invasive, but it's still invasive. Have you seen the Last WEek Tonight about medical devices? Not a lot of testing has to go into them, even when they're internal devices. Even hip replacements and things like that. Essentially, they're not pulled off the market until they cause tons of issues in tons of people. I'd rather not be that guinea pig.
                        Oh my gosh! That's really, really scary. Too bad there isn't a way to safely and effectively speed up the testing of certain products. Or at the very least, really inform the public more so that we can make choices with all the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

Oh my gosh! That's really, really scary. Too bad there isn't a way to safely and effectively speed up the testing of certain products. Or at the very least, really inform the public more so that we can make choices with all the facts.
                          It would be great if we were at least openly informed of what each designation means in terms of being FDA approved, cleared or anything else. At least that part shouldn't be a mystery.

Comment

Working...
                          X