How come they've never made a nonprescription phentermine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How come they've never made a nonprescription phentermine

There's something that's always confused me. How come they've managed to make a non-prescription version of Orlistat/Xenical (Alli) but they haven't yet done this for Phentermine/Adipex? I mean, I would image that that would be a top seller and maybe even helpful to some people. Is it because the side effects would still be too much of a problem for it to be safe to take without a doctor monitoring you or something like that?

I think that the nature of phentermine is different from orlistat. If you think about it, orlistat is a fat blocker. So you can cut it in half and in theory you get half the fat blocking with a much lower risk of side effects and all that. If you take too much of it, you get side effects that are really uncomfortable like you spend a weekend in the bathroom. Phentermine is a stimulant type thing, as far as I understand it. If you take half of it, it may not give you enough of a boost to really make much of a difference. Plus, if you take too much or you take it for too long, you can end up addicted. There's a real risk of abuse and problems with phentermine that isn't there with fat blockers. I can see why they've kept that one stuck behind a prescription label.

Comment

Originally posted by PamelaPoison View Post
      I think that the nature of phentermine is different from orlistat. If you think about it, orlistat is a fat blocker. So you can cut it in half and in theory you get half the fat blocking with a much lower risk of side effects and all that. If you take too much of it, you get side effects that are really uncomfortable like you spend a weekend in the bathroom. Phentermine is a stimulant type thing, as far as I understand it. If you take half of it, it may not give you enough of a boost to really make much of a difference. Plus, if you take too much or you take it for too long, you can end up addicted. There's a real risk of abuse and problems with phentermine that isn't there with fat blockers. I can see why they've kept that one stuck behind a prescription label.
      I agree with PamelaPoison. It is likely the stimulant aspect of phentermine that has kept it a prescription-only diet drug. Either it wouldn't be effective enough in a lower dose or there's too much of a risk that people would abuse it, so the increase of adverse side effects is higher. Plus, who knows what would happen if you took it and combined it with other stimulants like coffee or energy drinks...

Comment

Originally posted by PamelaPoison View Post
        I guess that make a lot of sense. So it is pretty much the side effects thing. it's a shame because I bet if they could figure something out it would probably be really good for those us who don't intend to abuse it.

Comment

Working...
        X