Lifting weights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting weights

If I just lift arm weights, and keep increasing the weight to build muscle, is this enough to actually shed fat in other parts of my body, too? Or do I actually need to do other types of resistance training on top of arm weight lifting?

Probably not that much. Your arm muscles aren't huge parts of your body. It will definitely make a difference overall in that you'll be able to move around more easily and you'll reduce your risk of injury doing all kinds of other exercises that will burn more fat. But if you're just doing hand weights to work your arm muscles, you really won't see much difference around your middle as a result. It's still a very good idea, but only as a part of a whole body strategy.

Comment

Exactly. You'll have some nicely toned arms, but your body isn't facing enough resistance with only arm weights for you to burn the fat you want to burn that will amount to weight loss. Think about it this way, after you lift arm weights where do you feel the burn? Chances are it's in your arms and not anywhere else. Focus on working out many of the muscles throughout your body (in a safe way of course).

Comment

Originally posted by WolfMoon View Post
        Exactly. You'll have some nicely toned arms, but your body isn't facing enough resistance with only arm weights for you to burn the fat you want to burn that will amount to weight loss. Think about it this way, after you lift arm weights where do you feel the burn? Chances are it's in your arms and not anywhere else. Focus on working out many of the muscles throughout your body (in a safe way of course).
        I agree. If you're not sure what to do but you want to involve your arms, too, go for burpees. These boring, annoying moves will work all your large muscle groups and give you fat burning cardio at the same time

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the tips guys. I'll work on doing weight lifts for the whole body

Comment

Working...
          X