How to get visible muscles around my middle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get visible muscles around my middle

So here's the thing. I've lost a good amount of weight. I exercise every day with different things. I do cardio mostly but some strength training and some yoga. I definitely have muscle around my core. But I can't see it. It just looks like a regular middle in the mirror. Why can't I see the muscles?

How long have you been doing the strength training and yoga and how many days a week? You need to keep up with it for months and increase the intensity of it if you really want to start seeing muscles.
    Last edited by Janet; 07-15-2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

On average it takes about 8 weeks to see muscle definition. That said, You'll likely need to do more than just yoga, or if you only want to do yoga, you'll likely need to increase the amount of it that you're doing in a week and making sure that you're upping your intensity over time. Remember that if you want muscles to show in a certain area, it's often best to focus on more than one type of exercise that targets these muscles. Doing the same thing over and over again isn't likely to help you reach the objective you're after. Still, I"m not a fitness trainer haha. If having defined muscles are important to you, maybe talk to a pro about it and they can probably give you a much more realistic idea of who to expect and how to best improve you techniques to reach your goal

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
        So here's the thing. I've lost a good amount of weight. I exercise every day with different things. I do cardio mostly but some strength training and some yoga. I definitely have muscle around my core. But I can't see it. It just looks like a regular middle in the mirror. Why can't I see the muscles?
        If you know you already have muscles but you can't see them, maybe you still need to do more in terms of fat loss? It could be that you're retaining some water, too, so there's a layer between your muscles and what you can see.
        Keep doing what you're doing to build/maintain your muscle. Keep in mind that most people don't get visible ab muscles from just regular fitness. That's more of the bodybuilding side of things. You could be able to see a bit, but that real defined muscle means you will need to put some extra bodybuilding oomph into your workout to get muscle, but also shrink the body fat level around your middle substantially. That's a lot of work, but if it's your goal, I say go for it. Ask a dietitian what you should eat to achieve that goal, since it sound like you already have your workout in check (since you say the muscles are definitely under there).
        As a side note, this is one of the top challenges even professional bodybuilders face. They have the muscle, but even a half inch of body fat on top cuts down that definition that lets you see it all. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post

If you know you already have muscles but you can't see them, maybe you still need to do more in terms of fat loss? It could be that you're retaining some water, too, so there's a layer between your muscles and what you can see.
          Keep doing what you're doing to build/maintain your muscle. Keep in mind that most people don't get visible ab muscles from just regular fitness. That's more of the bodybuilding side of things. You could be able to see a bit, but that real defined muscle means you will need to put some extra bodybuilding oomph into your workout to get muscle, but also shrink the body fat level around your middle substantially. That's a lot of work, but if it's your goal, I say go for it. Ask a dietitian what you should eat to achieve that goal, since it sound like you already have your workout in check (since you say the muscles are definitely under there).
          As a side note, this is one of the top challenges even professional bodybuilders face. They have the muscle, but even a half inch of body fat on top cuts down that definition that lets you see it all. Good luck!
          Chefmel nailed it! Honestly, Bean it takes a looooot of work and effort and all the time, every day kind of effort. I hope you make progress if this is what you're after For me, I'm okay knowing I have muscle but I can't see it. I just don't have that level of dedication LOL

Comment

Hmm, I think I have set my goals too high for myself. That's disapointing. It should be easier than all this! I feel like I've done everything right and still I cna't get basic results. I'll just be "good enough" but never really have the look I want. This is depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
              Hmm, I think I have set my goals too high for myself. That's disapointing. It should be easier than all this! I feel like I've done everything right and still I cna't get basic results. I'll just be "good enough" but never really have the look I want. This is depressing.
              Tell me about it. When you want a killer bod you really do have to work for it and I feel like the older you are the more you've got to work.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyBurger View Post

Tell me about it. When you want a killer bod you really do have to work for it and I feel like the older you are the more you've got to work.
                It's not something that will happen overnight. You need to keep at it and pay attention to both fitness and diet.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

It's not something that will happen overnight. You need to keep at it and pay attention to both fitness and diet.
                  Exactly It's funny, too, because you'll go for quite a while without seeing much of change or difference and then suddenly you'll notice it. I LOVE that. Noticing stuff when you've been working hard for it is one of the best feelings in the world I love it when I can feel genuinely proud of myself for doing something I wanted to do and it's something that's good for me I hope you get that Bean

Comment

I agree. Good luck, Bean . Hang in there and you'll see results if you keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                    X