Fruit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit

I love fruit this time of year! There are so many local fruits in season and other great varieties that are imported from around the world. I don't find it hard to get the fruit I need in a day. My question though is how much is too much. I know that there's still quite a bit of sugar in fruit, even though it's better for you than refined stuff by a million. Still, I want to be careful that I don't overdo it, especially on a consistent basis. If I have a smoothie in the morning and a bowl of fruit for dessert at night, is this too much?

Originally posted by TroyBurger View Post
    I love fruit this time of year! There are so many local fruits in season and other great varieties that are imported from around the world. I don't find it hard to get the fruit I need in a day. My question though is how much is too much. I know that there's still quite a bit of sugar in fruit, even though it's better for you than refined stuff by a million. Still, I want to be careful that I don't overdo it, especially on a consistent basis. If I have a smoothie in the morning and a bowl of fruit for dessert at night, is this too much?
    Sounds good but it all depends on what's in your smoothie and how big the bowl of fruit is. If it's an all fruit smoothie, you might be overdoing it. If you've got a handful of berries and a banana in there with spinach and other veg, you're likely ok as long as you monitor your sugar for the rest of the day. The fiber in your fruit helps to change the way the sugar is absorbed. Moreover, the form of the sugar is different than refined sugar. So it doesn't measure out the same way. It also depends on the fruit you choose. Watermelon, for example, won't give you nearly the hit of sugar you'd get from a mango.

Comment

it's true that you should watch how much you're having but seriously, if it's between ice cream and fruit, just eat the fruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
        it's true that you should watch how much you're having but seriously, if it's between ice cream and fruit, just eat the fruit.
        I feel like I'm starving/depriving myself if I do that. So instead of having a bowl of ice cream with fruit on it, I have a bowl of fruit with a bit of ice cream. When all is said and done, it's still a sweet dessert and I still get that ice cream taste and coldness, just not so much of it, but then because of all the berries I still feel like I'm getting a big dessert.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
          I couldn't agree more! Yeah, fruit has sugar but as Bethie has pointed out, your body doesn't process it in the same was as it does refined sugars.It's a lot better for you. Yes, you need to always watch your sugars, and understand that not all fruit is created equal on the sugar front, but at the end of the day it is far better to get your sugar from fruit than any other source!

Comment

No way! Fruit is the good guy. I thought as long as I was eating fruit I was making a good choice. Is it really a sugar bomb too? I hope you're right and it's got better sugar because of the way it is. I feel like there's nothing I can eat and feel good about anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

Sounds good but it all depends on what's in your smoothie and how big the bowl of fruit is. If it's an all fruit smoothie, you might be overdoing it. If you've got a handful of berries and a banana in there with spinach and other veg, you're likely ok as long as you monitor your sugar for the rest of the day. The fiber in your fruit helps to change the way the sugar is absorbed. Moreover, the form of the sugar is different than refined sugar. So it doesn't measure out the same way. It also depends on the fruit you choose. Watermelon, for example, won't give you nearly the hit of sugar you'd get from a mango.
              Thanks Bethie. You've given me a lot to think about. I've only added fruit and juice. I've never thought to add vegetables. I've never done that because I was always afraid it would taste weird. I mean I don't mind eating a salad...but I don't like the idea of drinking one...

Comment

Originally posted by TroyBurger View Post

Thanks Bethie. You've given me a lot to think about. I've only added fruit and juice. I've never thought to add vegetables. I've never done that because I was always afraid it would taste weird. I mean I don't mind eating a salad...but I don't like the idea of drinking one...
                Careful with adding juice. You're pretty much just adding flavored sugar water when you do that. Blend the fruits to keep all the pulp instead of juicing them or using pre-made juice and you'll do way better in your smoothies.

Comment

Working...
                X