Best camping foods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best camping foods

I'm going camping with my family at the end of September before the weather starts to get colder, rainier and just altogether more unpleasant where I live. That said, I don't just want to pack all junk snacks. We'll be camping for three days without any restaurants or things nearby. What are some healthy snacks and meals I can take that will maintain their freshness, won't take up a whole lot of room and won't take 300 hours to prepare? Any campers out there with good ideas? I"m all ears

Choose grass-fed, hot dogs or sausages with nitrates as low as possible. Get canned beans without any added salt. Bring corn on the cob you can boil or grill, Bring plain instant oatmeal packs you only need water to prepare. Then add no-salt-added trail mix to it so that you've got lots of seeds, nuts, raisins or other dried fruits and, best of all, flavor. You can also bring lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. Just eat those on the first days before they go bad, and rely on the packaged stuff later on.

Comment

For three days, go ahead and pack lots of fresh stuff! It won't go bad in that time! Apples, oranges, pears. You'll be good for eggs for the first couple of days at the very least in your cooler. Whole grain bread and pasta. Green and yellow beans, potatoes with the skin on, sweet potatoes, tons of veggies that don't need to be refrigerated or that are good if they're just cool even if they're not cold. For that amount of time, bring whatever you want to be healthy. You're all set!

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
        For three days, go ahead and pack lots of fresh stuff! It won't go bad in that time! Apples, oranges, pears. You'll be good for eggs for the first couple of days at the very least in your cooler. Whole grain bread and pasta. Green and yellow beans, potatoes with the skin on, sweet potatoes, tons of veggies that don't need to be refrigerated or that are good if they're just cool even if they're not cold. For that amount of time, bring whatever you want to be healthy. You're all set!
        I agree with KittyKatt. It's only three days so it's way easier to pack fresh and not have stuff go bad. Plus, depending on where you live, hopefully that time of year won't be too hot, so you'll need to worry less about stuff spoiling. So yeah, I agree, pack fresh veggies and fruit for sure. As long as you've got those, you're golden!

Comment

Thank you so much brightstar and KittyKatt! These are great ideas and I hadn't even though of half of them. I'm feeling really good about this, not only because I want my family to eat well but also because I've been following a new diet that's been working for me and I want to keep eating fresh stuff as much as I can. I know going three days off my diet won't kill me, but I'm really enjoying it and am feeling proud of what I've achieved so far and I don't want to wreck it! Thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X