Is there more than one type of Pilates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there more than one type of Pilates

Beyond just doing cardio when taking this pill, I want to throw some strength training and flexibility exercises into the mix. Does anyone know if there is more than one type of Pilates, of if one is easier than another? I thought there was only one kind but my friend insisted there's a few. I thought that was only Yoga.

I've never heard of another kind of pilates specifically. I guess certain studios will offer classes like piloga (pilates and yoga combined) but I think pilates is just pilates. Other than that, there are probably places that make up their own things. Like if my local studio can have hopped on the band wagon for dog yoga and goat yoga, then I'm sure someone has done goat Pilates, too.

Comment

Actually, your friend isn't wrong. There are different types of Pilates. Typically they can be classified between mat Pilates and reformer Pilates. That said there is Classic Pilates, which follows the original movements and exercises by Joseph Pilates. There's Mat Pilates, which is probably the most popular and basic form of Pilates. There's also Reformer Pilates, Clinical Pilates and Contemporary Pilates. So, yeah, if you are interested in getting the most out of Pilates it's a good idea to investigate the different styles to figure out which one would work best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by JokerzWild View Post
        Actually, your friend isn't wrong. There are different types of Pilates. Typically they can be classified between mat Pilates and reformer Pilates. That said there is Classic Pilates, which follows the original movements and exercises by Joseph Pilates. There's Mat Pilates, which is probably the most popular and basic form of Pilates. There's also Reformer Pilates, Clinical Pilates and Contemporary Pilates. So, yeah, if you are interested in getting the most out of Pilates it's a good idea to investigate the different styles to figure out which one would work best for you.
        I had no idea there were so many kinds. I've never seen anythign other than Pilates and piloga (pilates-yoga) advertised at any of the places near me.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post

I had no idea there were so many kinds. I've never seen anythign other than Pilates and piloga (pilates-yoga) advertised at any of the places near me.
          Wow! I agree. I've never heard of any of these either. They sound interesting though. I also assumed that the Pilates done on a mat was the same as the exercises from Joseph Pilaties. What makes his different? And Whirlybird I totally forgot all about Piloga!!

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post

Wow! I agree. I've never heard of any of these either. They sound interesting though. I also assumed that the Pilates done on a mat was the same as the exercises from Joseph Pilaties. What makes his different? And Whirlybird I totally forgot all about Piloga!!
            What is piloga? Just sort of yoga in motion? Does that become Tai Chi?

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post

What is piloga? Just sort of yoga in motion? Does that become Tai Chi?
              Piloga is a mixture of Pilates and yoga. It's a type of workout that focuses on combining the two types of exercises to build strength and tone muscle while also improving flexibility and encouraging the development of mind and body harmony. Essentially, it's the best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Firefly77 View Post

Piloga is a mixture of Pilates and yoga. It's a type of workout that focuses on combining the two types of exercises to build strength and tone muscle while also improving flexibility and encouraging the development of mind and body harmony. Essentially, it's the best of both worlds.
                Is it a real and beneficial thing, or is it just a fad thing like goat yoga that will go out of fashion?

Comment

Working...
                X