Decaf green tea vs regular green tea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decaf green tea vs regular green tea

I'm trying to watch how much caffeine I drink in a day. I know that green tea doesn't contain a lot, but I like to enjoy 1 or 2 mugs in the afternoon. I would prefer to drink decaf green but I want to make sure I'm still getting the same benefits from the tea as I would if it were caffeinated. I get that without the caffeine it probably doesn't have much of the fat burning properties and stuff, but does it still contain all the ingredients that offer other health benefits or does the process of decaffeinating it take away these benefits?

I think when it comes to the benefits from actually drinking the tea, unless you're looking for a stimulant, it really doesn't make a difference. All the health benefits of drinking green tea are associated with drinking a lot more than a cup or two. You're just pretty much choosing a zero calorie drink by going with green tea - decaf or not. You're not doing too much more for yourself unless you're having cup after cup.

Comment

I still think green tea is good for you. I think if you drink decaf, all you're losing is the caffeine, so you wn't get the energy boost or anything. But otherwise, go for decaf if that's what you want. You'll still get green tea benefits! People in Japan don't drink gallons of it every day and they benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
        I still think green tea is good for you. I think if you drink decaf, all you're losing is the caffeine, so you wn't get the energy boost or anything. But otherwise, go for decaf if that's what you want. You'll still get green tea benefits! People in Japan don't drink gallons of it every day and they benefit.
        I agree! As long as you don't care about getting the caffeine, going decaf is a great option. I also don't see why you wouldn't get the benefits from it. As long as the tea is fresh, you should be fine

Comment

For the most part, drinking decaf if you want to cut down on the caffeine content is just fine, you can still can get benefits from it. That said, remember that there is still a bit of caffeine in drinks that are decaf. Also, a few studies have found that while flavanol content remains after the decaffeinated process, it is reduced a little. There's an interesting explanation about it here https://www.verywellfit.com/green-te...nefits-2506112 in case you want to have a look.

Still, what I think is most important when it comes to drinking teas for health, is to make sure the tea that you use is as fresh as possible. Believe it or not, it does have a shelf life.

Comment

Originally posted by Firefly77 View Post
            For the most part, drinking decaf if you want to cut down on the caffeine content is just fine, you can still can get benefits from it. That said, remember that there is still a bit of caffeine in drinks that are decaf. Also, a few studies have found that while flavanol content remains after the decaffeinated process, it is reduced a little. There's an interesting explanation about it here https://www.verywellfit.com/green-te...nefits-2506112 in case you want to have a look.

Still, what I think is most important when it comes to drinking teas for health, is to make sure the tea that you use is as fresh as possible. Believe it or not, it does have a shelf life.
            Thanks for providing that explanation. That was interesting And you're right. I never thought of tea having a shelf life but I guess it can get stale. I imagine the nutrition drops in the same way that it does with fresh vegetables and fruits, the longer they've been off the tree/vine.

Comment

Working...
            X