Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

metabolism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • metabolism

    How can different things you eat or do/or not do affect your metabolism? I mean, if I wanted to make sure that my metabolism was functioning optimally all the time, what are the things I should be doing to make sure this is happening?

  • #2
    One of the things you can do is drink water. All your cells and systems need water. It is an integral part of converting fat or food or whatever into energy you can use. STay hydrated and you'll already be on your way.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by KraftMan View Post
      One of the things you can do is drink water. All your cells and systems need water. It is an integral part of converting fat or food or whatever into energy you can use. STay hydrated and you'll already be on your way.
      Yes! This is very important. So it obtaining proper rest. When you're better rested you naturally have more energy, are more alert and you keep your stress down, all of which can help keep your metabolism functioning optimally!

      Comment


      • #4
        Eat enough fiber. If you regularly eat a good amount of fiber, it gives you a natural cleanse (not one of those fad cleanse or detoxes). This helps you to keep bloating down and your metabolism humming.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
          Eat enough fiber. If you regularly eat a good amount of fiber, it gives you a natural cleanse (not one of those fad cleanse or detoxes). This helps you to keep bloating down and your metabolism humming.
          Is it just me or is drinking water, getting sleep and eating fiber the answer to everything LOL. I don't mean that sarcastically either, I mean it actually seems to be the answer to just about everything weight loss/health related haha.

          Okay, I'll add the fourth key one that nobody's mentioned - exercise. Regular exercise is also great for your metabolism - both strength training and cardio

          Comment


          • #6
            People talk about the metabolism as though it's an organ like a heart or a lung. It's not even a system. The metabolism is a range of different reactions that happen throughout your body that are all affected by your circulatory system respiratory system, digestive system and others. So there are tons of things that can affect how your metabolism is functioning. The foods you eat and the type of energy and nutrition they give you, exercising, drinking water, even the temperature of the air around you all play a role. Basically, take care of yourself and your metabolism will be efficient.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by brightstar View Post
              People talk about the metabolism as though it's an organ like a heart or a lung. It's not even a system. The metabolism is a range of different reactions that happen throughout your body that are all affected by your circulatory system respiratory system, digestive system and others. So there are tons of things that can affect how your metabolism is functioning. The foods you eat and the type of energy and nutrition they give you, exercising, drinking water, even the temperature of the air around you all play a role. Basically, take care of yourself and your metabolism will be efficient.
              Wow! Thanks so much for your response brightstar! I've never had metabolism defined for me that way before and what you said makes a lot of sense and also answers why sometimes things work and sometimes they don't. I like the whole "take care of yourself and your metabolism will be efficient." Will do. Thanks

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by brightstar View Post
                People talk about the metabolism as though it's an organ like a heart or a lung. It's not even a system. The metabolism is a range of different reactions that happen throughout your body that are all affected by your circulatory system respiratory system, digestive system and others. So there are tons of things that can affect how your metabolism is functioning. The foods you eat and the type of energy and nutrition they give you, exercising, drinking water, even the temperature of the air around you all play a role. Basically, take care of yourself and your metabolism will be efficient.
                Really? OMG I thought the metabolism was an actual system in the body for some reason. Now that I think about it,that doesn't make sense. Still, you hear about "speed up metabolism" in the same way you hear "speed up heart rate" or "Speed up your breathing" so I thought it was sort-of the same thing. Your heart is reasonsible for your heart rate and your lungs for breathing so I thought there was a metabolism linked to a specific organ like your stomach or something. THis should be taught in school and people should explain this more. I'm shocked that I didn't know this.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bethie View Post

                  Really? OMG I thought the metabolism was an actual system in the body for some reason. Now that I think about it,that doesn't make sense. Still, you hear about "speed up metabolism" in the same way you hear "speed up heart rate" or "Speed up your breathing" so I thought it was sort-of the same thing. Your heart is reasonsible for your heart rate and your lungs for breathing so I thought there was a metabolism linked to a specific organ like your stomach or something. THis should be taught in school and people should explain this more. I'm shocked that I didn't know this.
                  This is true! I thought the exact same thing, Bethie. I honestly thought of metabolism as a system, too, and you're right. When you stop and think about it, that makes absolutely no sense...I'm shocked I didn't know this, too. Especially since there are so many ways that you can mess up your metabolism...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by WolfMoon View Post

                    This is true! I thought the exact same thing, Bethie. I honestly thought of metabolism as a system, too, and you're right. When you stop and think about it, that makes absolutely no sense...I'm shocked I didn't know this, too. Especially since there are so many ways that you can mess up your metabolism...
                    We're taught the cardiovascular system in school. Maybe it's about time we learn about metabolism, too. Look at the difference it would make to the choices we make in our lives if we knew how the body metabolizes what we put into it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

                      We're taught the cardiovascular system in school. Maybe it's about time we learn about metabolism, too. Look at the difference it would make to the choices we make in our lives if we knew how the body metabolizes what we put into it.
                      OMG so true! There is so much stuff - simple stuff - that should be taught in school that just insn't and it's really said I know school isn't the answer to everything and that can't teach everything, but what a difference it would make to growing up if you knew some important stuff that would lead to you naturally making healthy and smart choices because you understand how your body works!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

                        OMG so true! There is so much stuff - simple stuff - that should be taught in school that just insn't and it's really said I know school isn't the answer to everything and that can't teach everything, but what a difference it would make to growing up if you knew some important stuff that would lead to you naturally making healthy and smart choices because you understand how your body works!
                        I agree that it's not up to school to teach us absolutely everything we need to know in life, but I feel like I could have benefited a lot more from learning this than learning certain other things that I have never once used after leaving the classroom. I think the overall curriculum in general is due for a major overhaul. That'd be a big project, though and schools are badly underfunded. It's a shame. It's only going to get worse over time unless we make it a priority.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

                          I agree that it's not up to school to teach us absolutely everything we need to know in life, but I feel like I could have benefited a lot more from learning this than learning certain other things that I have never once used after leaving the classroom. I think the overall curriculum in general is due for a major overhaul. That'd be a big project, though and schools are badly underfunded. It's a shame. It's only going to get worse over time unless we make it a priority.
                          Agreed! Feel the same way about climate change. I wish we'd put funding where it was needed, where it would support everyone.

                          That said, I also didn't realize that metabolism wasn't its own system. Thanks for the school lesson brightstar!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            That's insane that metabolism isn't an actual thing! I mean, I realized that it wasn't an organ like a heart or a stomach, but I thought it was a system like digestive system and then some sort of metabolic system. How do we not all know this?

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X