Can I open the capsules?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I open the capsules?

I have a hard time swallowing pills. Do you think I could just open the capsules and sprinkle the contents over food or add it to water to take this? Wouldn't it be the same as just taking the capsule? I'm asking because I've heard that you can do this with some supplements.

Originally posted by M-Stark334 View Post
    I have a hard time swallowing pills. Do you think I could just open the capsules and sprinkle the contents over food or add it to water to take this? Wouldn't it be the same as just taking the capsule? I'm asking because I've heard that you can do this with some supplements.
    Unless it says it on the bottle that you can do that, it's not a good idea. Otherwise you could end up getting a whole dose all at once instead of more gradually as the capsule dissolves. You can definitely do that with some supplements but you shouldn't unless it specifically says you can.

Comment

I agree with brightstar. Don't just open up capsules. If the directions say you can that's one thing. If not, take them as directed. Pills are formulated in a specific way for a specific reason, whether it be so that they are easy to swallow or because the ingredients are meant to be released in a certain way. Popping open a capsule and adding the contents to a beverage or sprinkling it over the food you eat is not the same as swallowing them whole as directed. If you don't think you can take the capsule, you should consider taking another type of pill or trying another type of weight loss product that you feel you can swallow.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post

Unless it says it on the bottle that you can do that, it's not a good idea. Otherwise you could end up getting a whole dose all at once instead of more gradually as the capsule dissolves. You can definitely do that with some supplements but you shouldn't unless it specifically says you can.
        Thanks. I didn't realize some bottles say that you can. I'll keep an eye out for that. I just know that people do it with other supplements and sprinkle it over their food or add it to their water and sip at it. I was just curious if this was always the case for any capsule.

Comment

Originally posted by M-Stark334 View Post

Thanks. I didn't realize some bottles say that you can. I'll keep an eye out for that. I just know that people do it with other supplements and sprinkle it over their food or add it to their water and sip at it. I was just curious if this was always the case for any capsule.
          It's true. I recently saw it for the first time. I thought all capsules said "don't chew, break, open" etc etc etc on the package, but I saw one for the first time that said you can bust open the capsule and mix the contents with applesauce to take it instead of swallowing it whole. So I guess there are definitely some instructions that say you can open them up if it's safe.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post

It's true. I recently saw it for the first time. I thought all capsules said "don't chew, break, open" etc etc etc on the package, but I saw one for the first time that said you can bust open the capsule and mix the contents with applesauce to take it instead of swallowing it whole. So I guess there are definitely some instructions that say you can open them up if it's safe.
            I didn't know that! I genuinely thought you were supposed to just swallow all pills. I didn't think you could open them. This is very interesting to know. That said, I think most diet pills in capsule form are meant to be taken whole so that there is a gradual release.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

I didn't know that! I genuinely thought you were supposed to just swallow all pills. I didn't think you could open them. This is very interesting to know. That said, I think most diet pills in capsule form are meant to be taken whole so that there is a gradual release.
              I agree. Most pills - including most diet pills - have to be swallowed whole. There are some exceptions and those will have an explicit message on their packaging to tell you that it's safe to do it. Otherwise, always assume that it should be swallowed whole. If you open a capsule that warns you not to, you can place your health at risk. You could face some very unwanted side effects.

Comment

Working...
              X