Is there a healthy kind of sugar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a healthy kind of sugar?

Ok so high fructose corn syrup and white sugar are bad for us. Is there a healthy kind of sweetener? I don't want to rely on synthetics like aspartame. So is honey good? Maple syrup? Agave? Are any of these options ok if I don't drink them by the gallon?

I think honey and maple syrup have good properties in them. Honey is a very mild antibiotic. It can help with a sore throat, that sort of thing. If you're comparing sugars...sugar is sugar. They will impact blood glucose the same way. So I guess it's keeping any of them to a minimum and making the choice for the other htings you want from it.

Comment

Honey is good for you. Just don't eat too much of it. It does have nutritional benefits, but but since it's also high in sugar, you can't eat too much of it without cancelling out the good part.

Comment

all sugars - natural or otherwise - are the same. They contain sugar. Treat them like sugar. That said, it's better those than artificial sweeteners!

Comment

Stevia is better , isn't it? It's all natural and you only need a microscopic amount?

Comment

Originally posted by TeensyTiff View Post
            Stevia is better , isn't it? It's all natural and you only need a microscopic amount?
            As far as I understand it, the jury is still out about whether stevia is safe or not. Has the research been updated? I could be out of date.

Comment

As long as you don't use it on everything you eat, it's fine. Think of it like you think of sugar, you can use it, but keep it to a minimum.

Comment

Working...
              X