Does it matter if it's organic?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does it matter if it's organic?

I'm following this new diet that encourages you to buy only organic foods. I get that there are benefits to buying organic and all, but sometimes it's hard to find organic stuff and it's also a lot more than I often want to spend. If I choose to get the same foods that are not organic, will this really make a difference to my overall diet results? I mean, is an organic banana going to lead to more weight loss than one that isn't?

Some foods matter a lot. Spinach, strawberries, apples and other foods on the dirty list are the ones that deserve your attention when it comes to buying organic. They're the ones where pesticides are used the most and the ones that absorb the most pesticides, too. That said, some other non-organic foods are pretty much a waste. For instance, if you get organic oranges and you don't use the peel for anything (making marmalade, orange zest, etc) then you're wasting your money. Any pesticide use wouldn't get through the outer peel. As long as you wash the orange before you start peeling it (so you get any dirt and pesticides off that would otherwise get on your hands as you touch the inside fruit) then you're good! Diets that say you have to find an organic banana are just wasting your money. Nobody eats the banana peel and that's where any chemicals would be - in your compost bin! Also, there is no evidence that organic foods make you lose weight faster or have more nutrients. That depends on other factors aside from the lack of pesticides and herbicides. You'll need to look further than that to find the most nutritious options.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
      Some foods matter a lot. Spinach, strawberries, apples and other foods on the dirty list are the ones that deserve your attention when it comes to buying organic. They're the ones where pesticides are used the most and the ones that absorb the most pesticides, too. That said, some other non-organic foods are pretty much a waste. For instance, if you get organic oranges and you don't use the peel for anything (making marmalade, orange zest, etc) then you're wasting your money. Any pesticide use wouldn't get through the outer peel. As long as you wash the orange before you start peeling it (so you get any dirt and pesticides off that would otherwise get on your hands as you touch the inside fruit) then you're good! Diets that say you have to find an organic banana are just wasting your money. Nobody eats the banana peel and that's where any chemicals would be - in your compost bin! Also, there is no evidence that organic foods make you lose weight faster or have more nutrients. That depends on other factors aside from the lack of pesticides and herbicides. You'll need to look further than that to find the most nutritious options.
      I agree! I think it's a great idea to buy organic whenever you can when it comes to the foods on the "dirty list" but otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you really want to support organic growers of course! Also, I don't think eating organic or not matters to your waistline. It's more about health than packing on losing pounds when it comes to choosing organic. Point being, if you can't find organic or want to save money and don't want to go organic, you should be fine because it's not going to make a difference to your weight.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

I agree! I think it's a great idea to buy organic whenever you can when it comes to the foods on the "dirty list" but otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it, unless you really want to support organic growers of course! Also, I don't think eating organic or not matters to your waistline. It's more about health than packing on losing pounds when it comes to choosing organic. Point being, if you can't find organic or want to save money and don't want to go organic, you should be fine because it's not going to make a difference to your weight.
        I don't think organic foods have a direct impact on your waistline, but I think that the right ones - the dirty list, yes - have an impact on your overall health. Over time, eating organic foods keep herbicides and pesticides out of your body so it will function better. This might make it easier for you to be able to keep up with a healthy lifestyle overall, which makes it easier to keep up weight management. So it's probably never something you'd notice, but over the years, it might make a difference because your body is functioning better.

Comment

You won't lose more weight eating organic foods. Any person who creates a diet that tells you that and can't back up this claim by real science is not someone you should trust because they clearly can't get their facts straight. As everyone else has said, going organic is fine if you want to, if you want to support organic farmers or if you want to choose foods not covered in pesticides (which is better for your overall health).

Comment

Originally posted by TeensyTiff View Post
            You won't lose more weight eating organic foods. Any person who creates a diet that tells you that and can't back up this claim by real science is not someone you should trust because they clearly can't get their facts straight. As everyone else has said, going organic is fine if you want to, if you want to support organic farmers or if you want to choose foods not covered in pesticides (which is better for your overall health).
            You said my take exactly. Organic isn't going to make you lose weight. There is no research and people who make claims without research to back them up (pretending that they have some sort of medical basis) can't be trusted. Organic can be good if you don't want to eat pesticides and herbicides. It can be good for avoiding companies like Monsanto. It can be good for supporting a different type of farming. But it doesn't mean it's better for weight loss.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts on this! I didn't think organic foods would lead to more weight loss but I'm glad to hear this for sure. I thought it was just a health thing. MadMike thanks for mentioning about fruits that have skin like bananas and oranges. I didn't know that that protected the fruit
              Last edited by MeSarah; 09-16-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X