carbs or calories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbs or calories?

When it all comes down to it, what should I be counting?

Calories. Find out how many you currently consume in a day. Then find out how many you actually need in a day to lose the amount of weight you want to lose and to maintain good health based on your lifestyle and level of activity. Once you know that, you can then start making healthy food choices to meet your calorie requirements. You'll find you'll likely eat less carbs naturally because if you don't you'll end up filling up your calories too fast before the day is through.

Comment

I completely agree with you, Teensytiff. I think you need to stay within a healthy calorie range. Yes, it's good to pay attention to carbs, fats and protein, but that's for health, not weight loss.

Comment

Calorie counting is definitely the way to go. Every 3,500 more calories you ingest over the amount you need in a day contributes to 1 pound of fat gain.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlotte View Post
          Calorie counting is definitely the way to go. Every 3,500 more calories you ingest over the amount you need in a day contributes to 1 pound of fat gain.
          Thats mostly true but its not an exact science. There's more to it than just calories as differnet types of calories are treated differently by the body. I still think counting calories is the best way, but it's a guideline not a rule

Comment

Calories! Always count calories. As soon as you get used to knowing how many you need and sticking to your limit, you'll start making better food choices, so you'll find that you're automatically worrying less about carbs anyway

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
              Calories! Always count calories. As soon as you get used to knowing how many you need and sticking to your limit, you'll start making better food choices, so you'll find that you're automatically worrying less about carbs anyway
              I agree. Count calories, get an understanding of what's in your food, and balance your nutrition

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

I agree. Count calories, get an understanding of what's in your food, and balance your nutrition
                That's exactly it! Before you can know what you need or what's best for you, you've got to know what's in your food to begin with You'll never be able to balance your nutrition otherwise. It's not just about reading a box, but actually making healthy, smart and good choices that work with your lifestyle and that also make you happy

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

That's exactly it! Before you can know what you need or what's best for you, you've got to know what's in your food to begin with You'll never be able to balance your nutrition otherwise. It's not just about reading a box, but actually making healthy, smart and good choices that work with your lifestyle and that also make you happy
                  Precisely. That's just what I was getting at. You can start by counting calories, but only as you're building a better understanding and relationship once your food. Once you have a good relationship with your nutrition, it will be a part of your lifestyle. No counting required.

Comment

Working...
                  X