probiotics don't do miracles

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probiotics don't do miracles

I'm really tired of people telling me probiotics will cure my digestive problems, my skin problems, my sleeping problems and pretty much anything else. They're good for you. Definitely. But they're not a miracle cure for everything that goes off in your body. Especially because you need ot understand what each type of probiotic does. Remember that each type of bacteria plays a different role and you need billions of them to make any difference at all. Just because it says "probiotic" on your yogurt or even on a supplement bottle, it doesn't mean it's going to do everything that your microbiome does.

Originally posted by BigBobby View Post
    I'm really tired of people telling me probiotics will cure my digestive problems, my skin problems, my sleeping problems and pretty much anything else. They're good for you. Definitely. But they're not a miracle cure for everything that goes off in your body. Especially because you need ot understand what each type of probiotic does. Remember that each type of bacteria plays a different role and you need billions of them to make any difference at all. Just because it says "probiotic" on your yogurt or even on a supplement bottle, it doesn't mean it's going to do everything that your microbiome does.
    THANK YOU! I'm so glad you posted this because I couldn't agree more. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking probiotics but they're certainly not the solution to everything. People need to stop thinking that one thing is going to solve all their problems!

Comment

Probiotics remind me of the multivitamin craze. You know when everyone used to take a multivitamin ever day and they thought that by doing this they were still being healthy regardless of what they ate? Meanwhile, they weren't realizing they weren't getting enough of one nutrient and over dosing on another...I really feel like when it comes to probiotics, taking vitamins, antioxidants, etc. etc. this is something that should be recommended to you by a doctor. Otherwise, focus on eating a well-balanced and healthy diet, drink lots of water, move around and get some sleep. Again, unless you've got an actual digestive health issues, all of that is likely to do way more for your digestion than taking probiotics.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristySmiles View Post

THANK YOU! I'm so glad you posted this because I couldn't agree more. I don't think there's anything wrong with taking probiotics but they're certainly not the solution to everything. People need to stop thinking that one thing is going to solve all their problems!
        It happens all too much. I try to catch myself when I seek out that one magical solution to a complex issue like healthy skin, weight loss and all that. No matter what it is, the answer isn't in a pill. A pill can help, but it's always bigger than that.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post

It happens all too much. I try to catch myself when I seek out that one magical solution to a complex issue like healthy skin, weight loss and all that. No matter what it is, the answer isn't in a pill. A pill can help, but it's always bigger than that.
          I'm guilty of trying to find that one solution, too. I think we all fall into that trap because we want it to be easy and convenient. It's so difficult to make changes when we are comfortable with how we're living, even if we know it's not healthy. I think it's not a bad idea to add probiotics to your diet, I just think it's one of those things that if you really want to, you should talk to your doctor or a professional dietitian/nutritionist about it to know what products are the best and how best to take them.

Comment

What if you don't want miracles but you want probiotics to help you? How do I pick the right one? Are the refrigerated ones better than the room temperature ones?

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
              What if you don't want miracles but you want probiotics to help you? How do I pick the right one? Are the refrigerated ones better than the room temperature ones?
              I think the best thing to do would be to ask your pharmacist.

Comment

has anythign actually proved that probiotic pills do anythign at all? Have they measured gut bacteria or anything?

Comment

Probiotics can still help overall though, right? I mean, they may not work like a diet pill but they're one of the things you can do to make it easier to lose weight like drinking more water?

Comment

Working...
                  X