stomach shrinking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stomach shrinking

If you eat less, over time will your stomach actually shrink so you eventually don't eat as much naturally or is this something that can only happen with surgery?

I think the stomach always stays the same size. it's how big it has to stretch before your brain gets the "full" signal. When you continually eat lots of food, your brain gets used to your stomach having to stretch a lot in order to feel full. If you eat less, the signal registers differently with less stretch to the stomach even though it's the same size.

Comment

Really? I thought your stomach would eventually shrink. I thought when you stop putting so much into it, it gets smaller. Maybe it can't stretch as much?

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
        I think the stomach always stays the same size. it's how big it has to stretch before your brain gets the "full" signal. When you continually eat lots of food, your brain gets used to your stomach having to stretch a lot in order to feel full. If you eat less, the signal registers differently with less stretch to the stomach even though it's the same size.
        Huh, interesting. I was always under the impression that it would eventually shrink, too. So it's just a matter of retraining your brain...no wonder it's so hard to lose weight

Comment

Wow! I had not idea that's how it worked. I really thought it had to do with slowly stretching your stomach over time and eventually because it's so stretched out you need to fill it in order for your brain to think you're full.

Comment

Working...
          X