Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does drinking water before a meal really make you eat less?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does drinking water before a meal really make you eat less?

I can believe that if you drank a whole glass of water down before you had something to eat you would probably eat less at the time because your stomach is a little full with water. That said, does this actually work in any meaningful way? Won't you just feel hungry again soon after you eat once the water evacuates your stomach? I mean, it's not like water actually provides any calories or energy for your body. I know staying hydrated is important for your health and even for losing weight, but dies anyone find drinking water really helps with appetite suppression that leads to weight loss?

Water is an appetite suppressant. It really does work. Plus you get hungrier when you're dehydrated. So drink water around a half hour to fifteen minutes before a meal, then sip water during your meal and you will feel fuller. That said, slow down your eating to give your mind to register it. It isn't something that happens instantly. Also, don't drink too much water or you'll harm your digestion and just make yourself feel crummy.

Comment

If you drink water regularly throughout the day, you will often feel less hungry than you would if you didn't drink as much water. Water gives you energy and it does make you feel a bit more full. Plus, our brains often mix up signals of hunger and thirst, so if you're slightly dehydrated, you may feel hungry when all you need is water. But whether or not you eat less is up to you. Most of us will eat when we're bored, we'll eat when we're offered food and we'll eat even when we've already had enough. So you might not feel as hungry but what you actually eat is up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
        Water is an appetite suppressant. It really does work. Plus you get hungrier when you're dehydrated. So drink water around a half hour to fifteen minutes before a meal, then sip water during your meal and you will feel fuller. That said, slow down your eating to give your mind to register it. It isn't something that happens instantly. Also, don't drink too much water or you'll harm your digestion and just make yourself feel crummy.
        That's really important to mention MadMike I also agree that drinking water can help with appetite suppression but it is important not to drink too much because you don't want to feel waterlogged. It won't make you feel good! I drank too much once and I felt so sluggish and kinda sick haha. So I would recommend that instead of just focusing on drinking a full glass of water before you eat, just work on drinking plenty of water throughout the day to stay hydrated.

Comment

Originally posted by TeensyTiff View Post
          I can believe that if you drank a whole glass of water down before you had something to eat you would probably eat less at the time because your stomach is a little full with water. That said, does this actually work in any meaningful way? Won't you just feel hungry again soon after you eat once the water evacuates your stomach? I mean, it's not like water actually provides any calories or energy for your body. I know staying hydrated is important for your health and even for losing weight, but dies anyone find drinking water really helps with appetite suppression that leads to weight loss?
          Now it really makes sense why i eat less when i drink water before the meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
            If you drink water regularly throughout the day, you will often feel less hungry than you would if you didn't drink as much water. Water gives you energy and it does make you feel a bit more full. Plus, our brains often mix up signals of hunger and thirst, so if you're slightly dehydrated, you may feel hungry when all you need is water. But whether or not you eat less is up to you. Most of us will eat when we're bored, we'll eat when we're offered food and we'll eat even when we've already had enough. So you might not feel as hungry but what you actually eat is up to you.
            I agree. Water can help but ultimately it's what you put in your body that counts after that. All the appetite suppression techniques in the world isn't going to prevent you from getting fat if you're eating all the wrong high-cal foods.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

I agree. Water can help but ultimately it's what you put in your body that counts after that. All the appetite suppression techniques in the world isn't going to prevent you from getting fat if you're eating all the wrong high-cal foods.
              That's probably the best attitude. Eat low cal filling foods, drink water, but overall, just be smart about what you're doing. Make sure the calories you eat are the ones that count.

Comment

Working...
              X