Is glucomanan the best appetite suppressant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is glucomanan the best appetite suppressant

I know that glucomanan is a fiber that expands in your stomach with water and it's supposed to provide you with a feeling of fullness so that you eat less. Does this really work and if it does, is this the best appetite suppressant on the market or is there a better one?

I think it works but I also heard it comes with a lot of side effects. That kind of action in the body leads to a lot of gas, abdominal pain, constipation/diarrhea and other fun stuff. I'd be careful before using that sort of ingredient. PLus, you need to use the right amount of it or it really won't end up doing much for you in terms of benefits, either.

Comment

I think there's some small studies that say it might have promise. I guess you could give it a try. Talk to your pharmacist.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post
        I think it works but I also heard it comes with a lot of side effects. That kind of action in the body leads to a lot of gas, abdominal pain, constipation/diarrhea and other fun stuff. I'd be careful before using that sort of ingredient. PLus, you need to use the right amount of it or it really won't end up doing much for you in terms of benefits, either.

I've also heard that it comes with a lot of side effects related to the gastrointestinal system. I personally wouldn't use it. I would far rather eat more soluble fiber and fill up the old fashioned way than take some ingredient that expands in your stomach. If you are going to take it as Bethie said, be careful how much you take and make sure you drink enough water.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

I've also heard that it comes with a lot of side effects related to the gastrointestinal system. I personally wouldn't use it. I would far rather eat more soluble fiber and fill up the old fashioned way than take some ingredient that expands in your stomach. If you are going to take it as Bethie said, be careful how much you take and make sure you drink enough water.
          what happens if you don't drink enough water? Is it just that it makes you more likely to have side effects? Or is it actually dangerous? How much water does it actually absorb?

Comment

Originally posted by TinaDancer View Post

what happens if you don't drink enough water? Is it just that it makes you more likely to have side effects? Or is it actually dangerous? How much water does it actually absorb?
            I think when you don't drink enough water it doesn't expand properly so it's not as effective. I also think you run the risk of it expanding in places you don't want, like your esophagus, if you don't drink enough to wash it down to your stomach or in your intestines. If I'm not mistaken, although not common, I think it's possible for this stuff to causes blockage with digestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

Thanks for all your responses! Bethie, I really appreciate yours. You pretty much said all the things that I wanted to know and I didn't realized that there was a certain amount that you were supposed to use for it to work properly. Do you know what that amount is?

Comment

Working...
              X