Ginseng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginseng

Does ginseng help with mental alertness? I'm asking because I've heard that it does and I'm looking for an ingredient that would help with alertness but that isn't caffeine or another stimulant. If Ginseng isn't great is there some other ingredient that's totally caffeine-free and good for that?

Nope. I heard that about alertness and memory, too, but they have yet to prove it in any studies, and they've really been trying. Plus, it's importnat to know that there are lots of kinds of ginseng. There's the kind you find in some good diet pills, siberian ginseng. But there's also an American ginseng and possibly others and they are totally unrelated even though they have a similar name. It's important to know that there are different kinds because research on one doesn't apply to the other types.

Comment

Yeah, ginseng is a bust. Personally, I've never had anything that's not a stimulant that has made me feel alert. Even people who claim green tea does it...well, the reason it helps with alertness has to do with the caffeine in green tea, not any of it's other ingredients. If you want to avoid stimulants, the best way you can stay naturally alert is to get regular proper rest, keep your stress levels down, stay hydrated, eat a healthy balanced diet and exercise. Taking regular breaks is important, too!

Comment

Originally posted by WolfMoon View Post
        Yeah, ginseng is a bust. Personally, I've never had anything that's not a stimulant that has made me feel alert. Even people who claim green tea does it...well, the reason it helps with alertness has to do with the caffeine in green tea, not any of it's other ingredients. If you want to avoid stimulants, the best way you can stay naturally alert is to get regular proper rest, keep your stress levels down, stay hydrated, eat a healthy balanced diet and exercise. Taking regular breaks is important, too!
        Which kind of ginseng did you use, WolfMoon ? I had no idea there was more than one kind, PamelaPoison Everything is confusing these days LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post

Which kind of ginseng did you use, WolfMoon ? I had no idea there was more than one kind, PamelaPoison Everything is confusing these days LOL
          I'm with you Whirlybird! I had no idea that there was more than one type of ginseng...I thought it was one plant. That said, I'm a little bummed that it doesn't seem to work. I guess it's just stimulants that give that "wake up" effect then, huh?

Comment

Are there other benefits other than energy to ginseng? I mean the siberian kind? Why are companies using it in diet pills?

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
              Are there other benefits other than energy to ginseng? I mean the siberian kind? Why are companies using it in diet pills?
              I always though it helped to boost energy levels. I know it's also supposed to be good for the immune-system. I'm assuming that's why they use it. That said, whether or not it actually works or if it works in the way that the manufacturers use it is something else. I would recommend maybe getting a ginseng tea to try that is caffeine free and see what type of effect it has on your energy levels. Maybe this will help you to determine if it's something you should consider when choosing a diet pill.

Comment

Working...
              X