What makes a product legit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes a product legit?

I'm curious about something. What do you guys feel makes an OTC diet pill seem like a legit product, like enough that you would consider taking a chance and buying it and giving it a try?

It's not a regulated industry. So there is no specific test of legitimacy. You need to do your homework and look at whether the company behind it is legitimate, check out where the products are being sold (official site, walmart, amazon etc versus sketchy unknown sites), look at the ingredients and any cited research from real medical journals, not just made-up graphs with no peer review. It's work, but it's how it needs to be done.

Comment

Mostly I make my decision based on the company selling the product (how reputable it is, etc.) as well as the ingredients in the product and what studies have been done on them and also how many ingredients are in the product. I try to stay away from pills that have a lot of unsubstantiated claims and those that have 10 or more ingredients.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post
        It's not a regulated industry. So there is no specific test of legitimacy. You need to do your homework and look at whether the company behind it is legitimate, check out where the products are being sold (official site, walmart, amazon etc versus sketchy unknown sites), look at the ingredients and any cited research from real medical journals, not just made-up graphs with no peer review. It's work, but it's how it needs to be done.
        Yeah that sounds like an awful lot of work. Is this what you do every time you're interested in taking a diet pill? if so, I give you loads of credit Bethie. I can be honest, I don't typically go that far. Usually I just check out the company, make sure I'm not allergic to any of the ingredients, make sure there's not too may ingredients and buy it from a legitimate place. That said, I think you're smart. Technically the best thing to do is to check out studies related to the ingredients

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

Yeah that sounds like an awful lot of work. Is this what you do every time you're interested in taking a diet pill? if so, I give you loads of credit Bethie. I can be honest, I don't typically go that far. Usually I just check out the company, make sure I'm not allergic to any of the ingredients, make sure there's not too may ingredients and buy it from a legitimate place. That said, I think you're smart. Technically the best thing to do is to check out studies related to the ingredients
          I used to spend a lot of time on it because I didn't know where to even start. Now, I only go with products from a handful of companies so that knocks down the research I have to do by a lot . It's a lot of work at the start, but over time it gets to be a lot less. Plus, I feel like I'm getting to learn about a lot of the common ingredients out there, weirdly enough

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

I used to spend a lot of time on it because I didn't know where to even start. Now, I only go with products from a handful of companies so that knocks down the research I have to do by a lot . It's a lot of work at the start, but over time it gets to be a lot less. Plus, I feel like I'm getting to learn about a lot of the common ingredients out there, weirdly enough
            Makes perfect sense. Honestly, when you take the time to learn about stuff, you're not just finding out more about the company's your researching but also about other things (like you said) like ingredients, quality, etc. It's amazing how learning about one thing actually helps you to learn about other things by default that can later come in handy when you least expect it.

Comment

I don't think there is such thing as legit or not. It's just whether or not it works and is safe. There's no certification for that at all.

Comment

Working...
              X