St. John's Wort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. John's Wort

I recently saw this ingredient in an OTC diet pill that I found interesting. How does St. John's Wort benefit weight loss and are there any side effects I should be worried about?

I don't know if it does benefit weight loss. I always thought that his product was a mood enhancer. Isn't it often used for treating anxiety or am I thinking of some other supplement?

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
      I don't know if it does benefit weight loss. I always thought that his product was a mood enhancer. Isn't it often used for treating anxiety or am I thinking of some other supplement?
      I heard the same thing. I thought it was a natural antidepressant or antianxiety or something like that. Maybe its' meant for helping with weight loss when you're fat from emotional eating. So if you're depressed and that makes you eat, or if you're anxious and that makes you eat, then the st johns wort helps you get past that so you can stop overeating due to your emotions. Just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

I heard the same thing. I thought it was a natural antidepressant or antianxiety or something like that. Maybe its' meant for helping with weight loss when you're fat from emotional eating. So if you're depressed and that makes you eat, or if you're anxious and that makes you eat, then the st johns wort helps you get past that so you can stop overeating due to your emotions. Just a guess.

I just looked more into it and there is no scientific evidence to prove that St. John's Wort is in any way beneficial to weight loss. It's biggest claim to "OTC alternative treatment" fame is that it helps to treat depression. So, yeah, as we suspected Bethie, it seems to effect mood, so I suppose it could help you be more positive, which may help wight weight loss. Sounds like a bit of a stretch, especially for a herb that is linked to plenty of unwanted side effects like headache, dizziness, mental confusion, hives, dry mouth and sensitivity to sunlight.

Personally, Janet I think I'd just stay away from diet pills containing this ingredient.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

I just looked more into it and there is no scientific evidence to prove that St. John's Wort is in any way beneficial to weight loss. It's biggest claim to "OTC alternative treatment" fame is that it helps to treat depression. So, yeah, as we suspected Bethie, it seems to effect mood, so I suppose it could help you be more positive, which may help wight weight loss. Sounds like a bit of a stretch, especially for a herb that is linked to plenty of unwanted side effects like headache, dizziness, mental confusion, hives, dry mouth and sensitivity to sunlight.

Personally, Janet I think I'd just stay away from diet pills containing this ingredient.

Thanks for your opinions Speeddemon and Bethie. I actually looked a little more closely at the side effects associated with this dietary supplement and was surprised to find that there are actually quiet a few. I think I might just avoid it, after all.

Comment

Working...
          X