Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are zinc supplements dangerous for weight loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are zinc supplements dangerous for weight loss?

I was going to start taking zinc supplements to help my weight loss but I recently read they can be dangerous. Is that true?

I don't think they're dangerous as long as you're not over-dosing on Zinc. I mean if you don't get enough Zinc in your diet it should be fine, but if you are getting adequate zinc from the foods you eat, then you shouldn't need a supplement. All vitamins and minerals can be dangerous if you overdose on them.

Comment

They can be dangerous if you take too much zinc and it can be easy to overdose on zinc if you're not paying close attention to how much of it you're getting in the foods that you eat. The most common side effects are gastrointestinal upset like abdominal cramping, diarrhea and vomiting. Headaches are also common. Apparently anywhere between 225 - 450 mg of Zinc can be toxic. Another issue is that taking too much Zinc can also lead to Copper deficiency,and low LDL (good) cholesterorl. It can also increase the risk of bleeding. So, yes, Zinc is very good for you, but it's important that you know how much of it you already get in your diet before you consider supplementing.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
        They can be dangerous if you take too much zinc and it can be easy to overdose on zinc if you're not paying close attention to how much of it you're getting in the foods that you eat. The most common side effects are gastrointestinal upset like abdominal cramping, diarrhea and vomiting. Headaches are also common. Apparently anywhere between 225 - 450 mg of Zinc can be toxic. Another issue is that taking too much Zinc can also lead to Copper deficiency,and low LDL (good) cholesterorl. It can also increase the risk of bleeding. So, yes, Zinc is very good for you, but it's important that you know how much of it you already get in your diet before you consider supplementing.
        Holy wow that's scary. I used to eat a ton of zinc lozenges when I had colds. I think I'll stop doing that

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post

Holy wow that's scary. I used to eat a ton of zinc lozenges when I had colds. I think I'll stop doing that
          It is scary! That said, I think you're alright when you take a lot of them when you've got a cold. I think it's more of a problem if you consistently taking a lot of it over the long term

Comment

I think you're right Baby Buttons. zinc lozenges have a really low dose, too They're not nearly as high as the supplement pills they sell. The lozenges are expected to be used a few per day. They won't hurt anything.

Comment

Working...
            X