Are prescription drugs better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are prescription drugs better?

I know that they’re stronger, but are prescription drugs really better for losing weight?

Side effects mean they're not better

Comment

Not necessarily. I've taken both and I have to say that I found positives and negatives about both. There is no question that prescription drugs carry more side effects (and believe me they really do - some which are quite nasty). That said on the whole, imp, their ingredients are a lot more powerful. Phentermine, for instance really suppressed my appetite better than any other OTC diet pill I've taken, but at the same time it also caused a heck of a lot more side effects that were really hard on me physically and emotionally. It depends on how much weight you want to lose and how much you weigh to begin with and whether or not you need to lose weight to prevent serious health problems for which you may be at risk (i.e. diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.) All that being said, I would recommend OTC diet pills before going prescription.

Comment

No, they're not better. They just have harsher side effects. Eating healthy and exercise are the best ways to lose weight.

Comment

I've heard that they are better for people who are extremely obese and who are at risk of serious health problems because of their weight.

Comment

No, they're not. As Whirlybird said, side effects mean they're not better. There is way too much of a risk with those pills. There are way better alternatives.

Comment

Not everybody has side effects, though. So if you don't have them, or if they go away (some of them do after a few days) then the benefits definitely outweigh the drawbacks

Comment

It depends. They can be, depending on your specific circumstance and how much weight you need to lose. Think of it this way. If you are in need of extreme weight management, then you may need an option that is more "extreme" than an OTC pill can provide. Think about when you're sick. Sometimes, OTC cold and flu products just won't cover it. You need that extra prescription something to help your body fight off the infection. Understand, I'm not saying that weight loss drugs and other medications are the same - because they're really not. I'm just trying to make the point that they should be considered as a last resort because you need that extra boost. If it is something you are considering talk to your doctor. He/she will hlep you determine if it is the better option for you. There are lots of factors to consider, and you may not even be a candidate for the pills anyway. Doctors don't prescribe those pills to just anyone.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I think what I'm going to do is stick to the PhenBlue that I'm already on since it's working for me. If that stops for some reason, then I'll start looking into alternatives, but I guess I made the right choice by going nonprescription first.

Comment

Working...
                  X