Anxiety meds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anxiety meds

This may be a dumb question, but have anxiety meds or anti-psychotics ever been used to treat weight loss? I'm only wondering because I know that sometimes the side effects of these drugs is weight loss. To be honest, I hope that the answer is "no" because this does sound like a bad idea to me, but I was just wondering anyway.

I was under the impression that anti anxiety meds more often lead to weight gain than weight loss. I don't knwo about anti-psychotics. THat said, I do agree that yes, it is a BAD, BAD idea to use these pills off-label to try to lose weight. They change your brain chemistry. They are serious medications and come with serious side effects. It is not safe to tamper with these drugs in this way. If your stress is causing you to gain weight, consider yoga, and certain natural supplements like St. John's Wort to help you to get it under control. Counseling can help, too.

Comment

I hope not. THat does not sound smart at all. Even if weight loss is a possible side effect, what about all the other ones??

Comment

If people find out there is a side effect they want, they will find ways of getting the medication even if it's wrong for them.

Comment

Originally posted by KraftMan View Post
          If people find out there is a side effect they want, they will find ways of getting the medication even if it's wrong for them.
          Truer words have never been spoken. It's said but so very true KraftMan.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
            I was under the impression that anti anxiety meds more often lead to weight gain than weight loss. I don't knwo about anti-psychotics. THat said, I do agree that yes, it is a BAD, BAD idea to use these pills off-label to try to lose weight. They change your brain chemistry. They are serious medications and come with serious side effects. It is not safe to tamper with these drugs in this way. If your stress is causing you to gain weight, consider yoga, and certain natural supplements like St. John's Wort to help you to get it under control. Counseling can help, too.
            That' what I was kind-of thinking. But I guess just KraftMan said, if people want it they'll make any excuse to take it and make themselves believe it is good for them. I just hope there aren't any doctors who would okay it.

Comment

Working...
            X