No announcement yet.

Why are some pills legal and some not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are some pills legal and some not?

I'm curious about something. How are the prescription drugs that are considered legal approved for the market? What I mean is, what sort of tests/studies/research do they have to undergo and who makes these approvals? Does a pill have to be around for a long time in order to be considered legal or safe?

I think that in order for a prescription diet pill to be legal it has to pass the standards that are created by the FDA, at least that would be for drugs that are sold in the U.S. I think every country has something like that, which is why some drugs (or ingredients) are legal in some countries and not in others. Also, I don't think that a pill necessarily has to be around for a long time in order to meet approval, I think they just need to pass the tests or meet the safety regulations. As far as safety goes, I don't actually think a lot of prescription diet drugs are safe to take considering they have a lot of side effects, you need to be monitored by your doctor, and lots of them are only for the short-term cause some have ingredients that people can become addicted to. Hope that answers some of your questions.

Comment

I think that when it comes to safety, the FDA doesn't determine that the drug is necessarily safe. But it requires the company producing the drug that they want approved to provide two studies that say that the benefits are worth the drawbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by KraftMan View Post
        I think that when it comes to safety, the FDA doesn't determine that the drug is necessarily safe. But it requires the company producing the drug that they want approved to provide two studies that say that the benefits are worth the drawbacks.
        I agree with KrafMan. The drugs simply needs to be approved by meeting certain standards, but there is not guarantee that these drugs are actually safe. That's often why they need to perscribed by doctors and patients are typically monitored. You're still using it at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Firefly77 View Post
            I agree with KrafMan. The drugs simply needs to be approved by meeting certain standards, but there is not guarantee that these drugs are actually safe. That's often why they need to perscribed by doctors and patients are typically monitored. You're still using it at your own risk.
            Good point.

Comment

Working...
            X