Insomnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

I agree. I think we could all use some real-life lessons that we didn't get through our first round of education. It would be good if the entire last year of high school was a "now let's get you ready to face the real world" year. All the academic stuff will have already been finished. It will be great for a base knowledge for the average student and will be important for anyone going to post-secondary education. But 12th grade should be about nutrition, general health, first aid, basic home repair, budgeting, personal finance, basic job skills, etiquette and manners and some other things the majority of us lacked upon leaving high school but that we could all have used a lot more than what we learned in biochem or calculus. I'm not sure what school is preparing us for anymore other than more school.
    So true! It feels like you just go to school to be prepared for more school hahaha. The whole system really needs an overhaul!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

So true! It feels like you just go to school to be prepared for more school hahaha. The whole system really needs an overhaul!
      That's precisely what I mean. This is important to our capacity to live healthy lives. Shouldn't that mean it's a focus for school?

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

That's precisely what I mean. This is important to our capacity to live healthy lives. Shouldn't that mean it's a focus for school?
        I would certainly think so...but then again, we live in a world where people are refusing to wear masks because it's their right to do so and/or because they think a virus is a conspiracy...*sigh* Hope you're staying safe and positive, my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

I would certainly think so...but then again, we live in a world where people are refusing to wear masks because it's their right to do so and/or because they think a virus is a conspiracy...*sigh* Hope you're staying safe and positive, my friend.
          I live in that same world. I wish we lived in a culture that understood that It's Not About You! The mask is to protect other people. By not wearing a mask, you're saying "my comfort is more important than your health" to everyone around you in a store or wherever else you happen to go. If there is even a 5 percent chance (though it's believed to be closer to 75%) that I'm going to stop myself from unknowingly passing something to someone who could end up in the hospital, straining our doctors, nurses and other medical staff, and then causing someone's grandmother to have to die alone on a respirator that isn't even designed for ongoing use, but they only had the temporary machines meant for transportation because all other respirators are used, then I'm going to wear a mask. I'd wear it 24 hours per day if I had to, because I don't murder people just because I think it's my right not to wear a cloth over my face.

I've been keeping in touch with friends from other countries and they keep asking me to explain why all this is going on here. Why are people so resistant to doing the things needed to keep our communities and our country healthy. Why are people getting in fights over wearing masks. Why is the government trying to force all children back to school next month? They're pitying us for everything we're going through. We have some of the top resources in the world, we're the wealthiest nation in the world, and we've managed this worse than some of the places with the fewest resources. I don't know what to say to them. I don't know what to say about living in a culture where we think "my comfort is more important than your life and the lives of your loved ones." I just don't know what to say.
          (btw, I know many people can't for medical reasons. I'm not including those arguments in this rant).

Comment

Working...
          X