Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are generics and brand name prescription diet pills the same?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are generics and brand name prescription diet pills the same?

I was always under the impression that generic drugs and brand name drugs legally had to be the same. However, one of my friends recently told me that while they may contain the same active ingredient, the effects can be different and some actually work better than others. Does anyone know if this is true?

No, they are not always the same. The non-active ingredients are often different and this may affect the way the drug works.

Comment

I don’t get it. When you look up the drugs under their brand names, they just say “also called..” and give the generic name. Doesn’t that mean that they are the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
        I don’t get it. When you look up the drugs under their brand names, they just say “also called..” and give the generic name. Doesn’t that mean that they are the same?

In my opinion it should be the same, but as Firefly77 pointed out, that isn't always the case. I believe that legally they must have the same active ingredient, but I don't think the rest has to be the same. That's kind of why when you are prescribed a certain medication, you need to make sure you obtain whatever has been prescribed. A lot of pharmacies will ask you if you want the generic or will automatically give it to you, but if you have been prescribed the brand name, that's what you should take, or you should ask your doctor to prescribe you the generic. The reason is some studies have found that generics do not work the same and in some cases may be less effective or be more of a hindrance than a help.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. That was very eye-opening. I think if I want the generic I'll just see what my doctor thinks.

Comment

Working...
          X