Do you ask your doctor questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you ask your doctor questions?

I have a question. When you are prescribed a pill, do you ever ask your doctor if there are some milder or non-prescription alternatives available that would give you the chance to try similar benefits but without the possible dangers and side effects that are associated with all diet pills (which is why they require a prescription)?

If you start to ask questions about the drawbacks and about what else you can try to still lose weight without putting your health at risk, you might discover that there is a lot of information out there that you didn’t even know about. Your doctor is actually a huge knowledge resource and even though many will prescribe before suggesting alternatives, there are many that will be happy to answer your questions and that know about other opportunities for you to lose weight and achieve other health benefits without having to head to the pharmacist.

..you know, I'm ashamed to say that I don''t ever ask my doctor questions when he prescribes me stuff. I mean, I'll ask him what he's prescribing it for, but I never ask if there is an alternative. It's more a matter of making sure I'm not allergic to any of the ingredients. Maybe I should start asking about alternatives...

Comment

Ya, I'm guilty of not asking questions, too. I always just assume he's prescribing or recommending the best stuff to me.

Comment

I dont ask my doctor as many questions as i should. Like freddy i often assume that he knows what is best 4 me but when i stop 2 think about it thats really really silly! While my doctor is the 1 with the best knowledge about health i should be the 1 who is looking out for what is best for my health. Thanks 4 bringing this up envirotodd. Im going 2 remember it & put it 2 good use the next time i see my doctor!

Comment

Does anyone know why they don’t actually ask the question? Christysmiles, you said that you don’t ask any questions but you already go to the doctor and tell him or her about problems so you are already being prescribed things. What is it that stops you from doing it? Freddy, you said the same thing.

A lot of doctors are more than willing to talk about alternatives with you. Mine actually used the computer in the office to show me a well reputed website (the mayo clinic) that offers a whole database of conditions, the conventional treatments, as well as some alternatives. That kind of resource is very handy because it lets me educate myself a little so that I am prepared to ask good questions once I’m there. Doctors aren’t there to just tell you what to do. They’re a part of your overall health program for taking care of yourself.

Comment

I don't know what it is, enviroTodd. I feel really scattered when I'm at the doctor's office.

Comment

enviroTodd, I guess I never ask because I assume that he knows what is best for me. I mean, I'm going to the doctor for his medical advice and opinion, so I just think he is prescribing me the best stuff. If he wanted me to take an alternative he would have suggested it. I think it would be different if I went there but already had a medication or supplement in mind so I already had questions about it. But when I'm feeling sick, etc. I'm only thinking about getting better and I want to take what the doctor gives me. I hope some of that made sense

Comment

Working...
              X