Is surgery better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is surgery better?

Would it be more effective to get surgery than to take prescription diet drugs if you are really obese? I've heard that a lot of prescription drugs don't actually work that well.

I don't think it's better to get surgery. A lot of prescription drugs work well for some people although they don't work for everyone. It's a matter of finding the option that's right for you. Surgeries don't work well for everyone, either. Also, surgeries are quite invasive and they don't guarantee that the weight will stay off forever. A lot of them require you to be on a liquid diet for a length of time after having them and then they need you to be on a partially solid diet for a while. This is NOT easy. So while it does work for many people, it is certainly not the easy way out.

Comment

I agree with MadMike. It really should be thought of as a last resort. Besides, if you can find a way to control your weight without having to go under the knife or altering your body in any way, that's definitely better in my books.

Comment

I guess you guys are right but it just seems that prescription diet pills don't really seem to work for a lot of people, which is why I often wonder if surgery might be better. I definitely don't think of it as an easy way out. I don't think there is an easy way when it comes to weight loss, especially dramatic weight loss, but when you think about all the nasty side effect associated with diet drugs, you gotta wonder if jumping right to surgery is a better solution, sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by MeSarah View Post
          I guess you guys are right but it just seems that prescription diet pills don't really seem to work for a lot of people, which is why I often wonder if surgery might be better. I definitely don't think of it as an easy way out. I don't think there is an easy way when it comes to weight loss, especially dramatic weight loss, but when you think about all the nasty side effect associated with diet drugs, you gotta wonder if jumping right to surgery is a better solution, sometimes.
          I guess all you can do is talk to your doc

Comment

Working...
          X