after the prescription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after the prescription

What are you supposed to do after the prescription so you don’t get fat again?

Keep up with your diet and exercise. The prescription is only meant to help you establish better eating habits and help you set up a strong weight management regimen. By the time you're supposed to be off them, you should have developed a weight loss strategy you should be able to continue.

Comment

I agree with TracyK. After the prescription is up, you need to continue with your diet and exercise that you should have established while taking the prescription drugs, since the medicine is supposed to be combined with conventional weight loss methods and behavioral changes. If you are worried that your appetite will come back (if you're taking an appetite suppressant) talk to your doctors about your concerns and see what he/she has to say about what steps you should take once your prescription is up. Remember the whole point to taking any drugs or supplements for weight loss is meant to be for a short period of time. They are an aid that is to help you take the edge off so you can work on changing your diet with greater ease

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
        I agree with TracyK. After the prescription is up, you need to continue with your diet and exercise that you should have established while taking the prescription drugs, since the medicine is supposed to be combined with conventional weight loss methods and behavioral changes. If you are worried that your appetite will come back (if you're taking an appetite suppressant) talk to your doctors about your concerns and see what he/she has to say about what steps you should take once your prescription is up. Remember the whole point to taking any drugs or supplements for weight loss is meant to be for a short period of time. They are an aid that is to help you take the edge off so you can work on changing your diet with greater ease
        That's precisely it, BabyButtons. You can't count on the prescription to keep your weight off. You can only use it to learn about what you should have been doing all along in your life. That's not me throwing shade at you. I had to learn it because I lost a lot of weight last year and the year before. I'm sharing what I learned. Your lifestyle is what made you gain weight in the first place. If you have to use a prescription, then use it to learn how you should be living and build your habits. Then when you're not on the prescription anymore you'll be better prepared to keep your weight at a balanced and healthy level.

Comment

IMO that's exactly what the prescriptions are for. They're to help you lose weight while you figure out how to stop it from coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

That's precisely it, BabyButtons. You can't count on the prescription to keep your weight off. You can only use it to learn about what you should have been doing all along in your life. That's not me throwing shade at you. I had to learn it because I lost a lot of weight last year and the year before. I'm sharing what I learned. Your lifestyle is what made you gain weight in the first place. If you have to use a prescription, then use it to learn how you should be living and build your habits. Then when you're not on the prescription anymore you'll be better prepared to keep your weight at a balanced and healthy level.

That's exactly it enviroTodd. Many of us seem to need to learn about how bad our lifestyles are the hard way. That's why it's so difficult to not just lose weight but actually keep it off. We've got to change our habits and a lot of the times we don't want to take on this effort...or at least keep it up. Do your best to make manageable changes. there is no need to be extreme with your changes. try not to hate the changes and then after the prescription things will be easier

Comment

Another thing I find important to remember is that there will be times when you fall off the wagon. You may find that you pick up a ton of great habits and you'll stick to them for a good long while but then suddenly for some reason, you'll find yoruself going back to all the bad habits that made you lose weight in the first place. Instead of thinking you've failed, think of that time as temporary and just go back to the good habits when you're ready to do it. I find that grocery day is a very defining time. If I have been eating poorly, I let myself have a break (within reason) until the next time I go grocery shopping, then I focus on resetting my thinking. I think of my shopping in the same way I used to and I stock my kitchen with foods that are good for me and good for my weight. That works effectively for me.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                Another thing I find important to remember is that there will be times when you fall off the wagon. You may find that you pick up a ton of great habits and you'll stick to them for a good long while but then suddenly for some reason, you'll find yoruself going back to all the bad habits that made you lose weight in the first place. Instead of thinking you've failed, think of that time as temporary and just go back to the good habits when you're ready to do it. I find that grocery day is a very defining time. If I have been eating poorly, I let myself have a break (within reason) until the next time I go grocery shopping, then I focus on resetting my thinking. I think of my shopping in the same way I used to and I stock my kitchen with foods that are good for me and good for my weight. That works effectively for me.

That's a really good point enviroTodd! It is important to remember that there will be a time when things don't work out quite as you hope and you'll feel bad about it, but don't let it worry you or destroy your good habits that you've established. Just because you fall off a wagon does not mean that you can't climb back on! We all tend to steer off course from time to time. What's important is that we remember to get back on. You don't have to be perfect to lose weight but you do need to be committed to doing our best to stay true to the healthy changes you make as much as possible!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

That's a really good point enviroTodd! It is important to remember that there will be a time when things don't work out quite as you hope and you'll feel bad about it, but don't let it worry you or destroy your good habits that you've established. Just because you fall off a wagon does not mean that you can't climb back on! We all tend to steer off course from time to time. What's important is that we remember to get back on. You don't have to be perfect to lose weight but you do need to be committed to doing our best to stay true to the healthy changes you make as much as possible!
                  That's precisely it.If you expect perfection, you are automatically setting yourself up for failure. It's also my belief that trying to adhere perfectly to a set or restrictive diet isn't good for your overall health including your mental health. After all, we're not designed to live without variety. The lack of pleasure and change in our lives will make us limited and could possibly bring on signs of depression. It will at least be a solid killer to motivation. It's better to try to do your best to stick to your diet, but remember that once every now and again, it doesn't hurt to do something good for your inner spirit. It will only give you drive to keep things going tomorrow.

Comment

YES!! A change every now and again is wonderful and is so good for your mental health and a positive mental health is imperative for weight loss. That said, it's important to keep your pleasure-seeking as a treat. This way you'll always have something to look forward to and you'll appreciate it a lot more when you do let yourself enjoy it. Always having something to look forward to keeps up with the motivation.

Comment

Working...
                    X