• Why choose prescription?

Prescription weight loss drugs are inherently associated with:

Mild side effects
    Strong side effects
    Medical condition conflicts
    Interactions with other medications
    A risk of addiction
    Withdrawal symptoms
    And a decreasing effectiveness level as the body builds up a tolerance.

Why would you ever choose to put these toxins in your body when there are far more healthy alternatives that produce natural responses within you, without all of that hazard?

Sometimes you need to take the risks with the benefits

Comment

I'm not an advocate for prescription diet pills, and although I really feel they are a last resort for weight loss, sometimes they really are the only thing powerful enough to help someone who is quiet obese to lose weight really fast. There are certain situations when - just as Whirlybird pointed out - the potential benefits are worth the risk.

Comment

Sometimes, it's what people need to help give them a head start on their long road of weight loss. Some of the healthier alternatives are just not enough for some people...that, and some people like to take prescription drugs. They honestly believe that prescription drugs help them in ways that alternative or natural remedies can't.

Comment

I've taken Phentermine. Although I am glad to be off it - and while I do agree with you that it has some pretty nasty side effects (as I experienced a few of them myself) - I'm not sorry I took it when I did and I don't regret it. I'm not proud to admit it, but I was really obese when I was at my highest weight point. Phentermine helped me to lose a good chunk of my weight in a short period of time, and allowed me to establish a lifestyle for weight loss that I honestly don't believe I would have been able to establish without it. Understand, I'm not saying that prescription weight loss drugs are for everyone, or that they should be your first choice, but I think that they can be helpful to certain people who have reached an extreme point and need a little more help than healthy alternatives can provide. All that said, I am very happy to be off it and am glad to use healthier alternatives.

Comment

Because most of the healthy alternatives out there (with the exception of exercising and watching what you eat) do absolutely nothing in terms of helping you lose weight. Exercising and watching what you eat is essential for losing weight, regardless of whether or not you are taking prescription drugs or some other pill. That said, prescription drugs can actually help you suppress your appetite so you can create healthier weight loss goals. People take them because they need the additional help and motivation. Sometimes, that motivation is worth the risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post
              When there are alternatives that don't have risks, they are a wiser next choice.

Also, to Speeddemon - if you cannot maintain your own motivation to achieve the goals that you want, then you may not be thoroughly convinced that these goals are worth the effort. It is not a chemical that will solve your problem. You need to look inward and correct this issue with your own attitude toward the achievement of the goal. That will also stop the weight from returning after it's gone. A prescription chemical can never do that.

Comment

I have to say that I'm in a bit of agreement with enviroTodd. I don't really believe that prescription drugs for weight loss are ever the answer. There are many alternatives out there and exercise and a healthy diet are really the best tools for weight loss. Prescription drugs really do carry to big of a risk for them to be really worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                  Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post
                  When there are alternatives that don't have risks, they are a wiser next choice.

Also, to Speeddemon - if you cannot maintain your own motivation to achieve the goals that you want, then you may not be thoroughly convinced that these goals are worth the effort. It is not a chemical that will solve your problem. You need to look inward and correct this issue with your own attitude toward the achievement of the goal. That will also stop the weight from returning after it's gone. A prescription chemical can never do that.
                  There aren't always alternatives, enviroTodd. For some people, a prescription diet drug is their best option. To answer your initial question, the bottom line is that some people choose prescription drugs because they believe that it is best for them. Others - like you - choose alternatives because you believe they are the better choice. It's a matter of personal opinion and what someone feels is right for them, and that's all there is to it.

Comment

No...but a prescription chemical can make me not feel hungry, which isn't exactly something I can't achieve from within. Some things are not mind over matter...unless you happen to have loads of willpower and possibly meditate or something. Neither of which are my strong suits.

Comment

Working...
                    X