Dishes for the Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishes for the Holidays

I’m hosting some Christmas gatherings this year for the first time. I have a few recipes but a lot of them are centered on foods that I don’t eat or that will simply blow people’s diets and health to smitherines.

Does anyone have good meal and/or hors d’oeuvres recipes that are either vegetarian or that use only very light and lean meats that are humanely raised, and that don’t contain any processed foods as ingredients? (ex. No cakes based on pudding mix, etc)

Thanks in advance!

Couldn't you just make a turkey that has been certified humanely raised? THen you can eat the white meat which is lean and healthy, and you can give your guests the chance to have the dark meat if that's what they like. It's the best of both worlds.

Comment

If you can't find anything, you can also make sure that you serve things in small portions. Here's a bad example, but it shows what I mean: instead of making big cookies, make little tiny ones.

Comment

Meals I'd recommend are Tofurky, which you can compliment with whole-grain bread for stuffing and a whole bunch of tasty organic veggies, such as carrots, potatoes, green beans, etc. Eggplant parmesan is another favorite of mine. There are also lots of different veggie-based soups you can do. As for baking, there aren't a lot of dieting-friendly recipes that are as good as the ones that are high in fat and sugar - as that really is where all of the flavour is. It's all just a matter of eating a small amount, like using the example PamelaPoison suggested - smaller cookies compared to larger cookies. Plus, it's the holiday time of year. It won't kill you to indulge in a few treats.

Comment

A Tofurky? LOL What is that supposed to be?

Comment

Originally posted by suzieQ View Post
            A Tofurky? LOL What is that supposed to be?
            It's a tofu turkey - hence "tofurky". It's a vegetarian turkey replacement. It consists of organic tofu and wheat protein. Personally, it sounds a little vile to me, but I'm a meat eater by nature, so I wouldn't find it appealing.

Comment

I’ve got an hors d’oeuvres recipe that is low in fat and calories, is simple to make and is very tasty. I don’t remember what it’s called. I had it at a friend’s house who is a vegetarian.

All you need are baked pita chips (you can either buy them or make them yourself), hummus, carrots and fresh lemon.

Spread a good-sized layer of hummus on each chip. Shred a carrot and spread the carrot shavings evenly over the hummus. Place a small aount of zest rind from the lemon over the carrots. That’s all you need! It’s surprisingly very tasty!

Comment

That sounds good jennyr. I think a good dessert idea is 2 serve some cut up fresh fruit with small squares of quality dark chocolate - 70% cocoa or higher. Dark chocolate is better for u and i think it tastes better.

Comment

Has anyone actually tried tofurky? I've heard about it a lot but mostly as the butt of a joke. Is it actually good? Does it taste anything like real turkey? What is the texture like. Tofu is a bit gelatinous, which makes me slightly less inclined to want to use it as a substitute for a holiday staple. Is tofurky different than it is in my imagination?

BabyButtons, good idea about fresh fruit with dark chocolate. I'd thought of the fruit but I didn't think of the dark chocolate idea. That's a great thought. I could just sprinkle chocolate chips in or smash up some bark for a more natural look. People might like that for a break from all the heavy stuff. You're a charm.

Comment

Awww thanks! Ur welcome 4 the idea! Ive never tried tofurky, but I like the sound of it. I keep saying it outloud and it makes me giggle everytime lol.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
                      Awww thanks! Ur welcome 4 the idea! Ive never tried tofurky, but I like the sound of it. I keep saying it outloud and it makes me giggle everytime lol.
                      Sounds like you're already in the holiday spirit. Even talking about part of the dinner could have you laughing. It normally takes a lot of eggnog to get the same response out of my family. I imagine that the energies around you are so positive that your celebrations are always wonderful affairs instead of the type that the rest of us experience where we sit around an awkward group and talk about things in the hopes that it won't start any fights.

It is funny that a holiday in which we focus so heavily on peace and positivity can lead to such a large amount of negative energy. At least I'll have your fruit salad with dark chocolate to help to keep things more healthy and positive. Maybe your energies will rub off on my family that way.

Comment

Awwww ur so sweet envirotodd! We do have a lot of fun @ our family x-mas dinner party. Ur welcome to join us hahaha Ill be thinkin of u 2. Merry x-mas

Comment

Merry Christmas to you, too, BabyButtons. Have a wonderful time with your family. I’ll be sure to stop by ha ha. I get the feeling you’re probably on the other side of the country or the world from me

Comment

Working...
                          X