What can you make with capers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can you make with capers?

Does anyone know of a healthy recipe that involves capers? I was going through my cupboards and found I had a couple of jars (they’re not expired I checked). I hate throwing out food and was wondering what I could do with them. Thanks!

Hmmm...I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a caper before. What do they look like?

Comment

Capers are little tiny unripened flower buds of a plant that is native to the Mediterranean and in some parts of Asia. They are green and the size can range from a tiny pea to even ones as big as an olive. You can usually find them sold in a small jar at your local grocery store or supermarket. They tend to be used in a lot of Mediterranean dishes, but also go wonderfully with salads, stews, suaces, pizza, meat, eggs, pasta, seafood, etc. They are typically added to a meal after it's been cooked. Capers do contain vitamins and minerals and are a particularly a good source of Fiber, Vitamin K and Iron.

That said, it's important to point out that they are naturally very high in sodium and are typically used in place of salt for providing flavor to a meal. You should use them sparingly (add only a few to a meal) and if you are using them from a jar, they should be well rinsed to remove excess salt and brine.

Comment

I didn’t know they were the buds of flowers. They are really salty though. I might try them on pizza and in pasta. Thanks, Wolfmoon.

Comment

Working...
        X