How to make a flavorful stock from scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make a flavorful stock from scratch

Hi everybody. I want to start making my own stocks from scratch. Is this easy to do and what is the best way to make a stock that will have flavor without being too salty? Thank you!

If you want a very full flavor, find some great bones to work with. You'll get a bone broth out of it that has far more minerals in it. I go to a local organic, non-GMO pasture-raised farmer for mine, but you can likely find good bones at any butcher counter. Beef bones are very easy, but you can also get pork neck or trotters for cheaper and chicken feet will make a broth like you've never had before. You'll be shocked at how good it is an how soothing it is on the stomach. Just add a couple of tablespoons or so good quality apple cider vinegar (you won't taste it, it helps to pull nutrients from the bones) and whatever herbs you like. I just made one with a few bay leaves and some savory. You can always go with the classic bay leaves, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme combo that never fails.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
      If you want a very full flavor, find some great bones to work with. You'll get a bone broth out of it that has far more minerals in it. I go to a local organic, non-GMO pasture-raised farmer for mine, but you can likely find good bones at any butcher counter. Beef bones are very easy, but you can also get pork neck or trotters for cheaper and chicken feet will make a broth like you've never had before. You'll be shocked at how good it is an how soothing it is on the stomach. Just add a couple of tablespoons or so good quality apple cider vinegar (you won't taste it, it helps to pull nutrients from the bones) and whatever herbs you like. I just made one with a few bay leaves and some savory. You can always go with the classic bay leaves, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme combo that never fails.
      Wow! I had no idea that you were such a wizard when it comes to making natural broths, enviroTodd!! Although, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised. You're kind of the all-natural, organic and health foods guru 'round here Thank you for all the great tips! I'm going to do some investigating and see what my local farms might have. To be honest, I kinda want to support them if I can anyway, especially during this crazy time. I hope you and your loved ones are healthy and staying safe in all this!

Comment

That feels like the way to go now. We're in lockdown here, so I can only order from grocery stores. I'm glad I had some extra in my freezer. This is all worrying. I hope you're doing well out there.

Comment

I've been supporting local, too, and it's been great! I love having all the fresh produce and better tasting meat. I think I'm going to keep supporting my local farms when all this crazy is over!

Comment

That feels like the way to go now. We're in lockdown here, so I can only order from grocery stores. I'm glad I had some extra in my freezer. This is all worrying. I hope you're doing well out there.
            Us too. I've also been doing most of my shopping online, trying to avoid going out all costs. I just want this thing to stop spreading and do whatever I can to do my part in making that happen!

M-Stark334 - me, too! Definitely gonna respect my farmers more. So grateful we have them <3

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

Us too. I've also been doing most of my shopping online, trying to avoid going out all costs. I just want this thing to stop spreading and do whatever I can to do my part in making that happen!

M-Stark334 - me, too! Definitely gonna respect my farmers more. So grateful we have them <3
              That's a great attitude. It's good to know we're part of a group that is trying to keep the economy alive while still knowing that the most important factor is to keep the spread of COVID-19 under the max-out level of our healthcare.

Comment

e

That's a great attitude. It's good to know we're part of a group that is trying to keep the economy alive while still knowing that the most important factor is to keep the spread of COVID-19 under the max-out level of our healthcare.
                Yes! I'm really trying to support local and nationally as best I can. I know that others are as well. I hope once this is over, we keep some of the neighborly habits that we've developed. If this virus has taught me one thing it's that I take a lot more things for granted than I had realized. These days, I find myself just feeling grateful that me and my family are well.

Comment

That does sound good. I have hated every moment of this virus. I'm working hard to keep myself in a positive place. But it's awful and there's no way around that. But a lot of us who have been over complicating have been forced to take things more simply, to live without abundance, and adapt. I'm fortunate because I'm not in the most affected - in illness or financially - communities at the moment. I feel it has been my responsibility to step up because of that. I'm going without some of my favorite things because they're not there or they're in short supply and, to be frank, i'll be just fine without them. I'm shopping for others and preparing food for those who can't or who just need a happy surprise. I'm NOT approaching anyone or going into anyone's house. Drop-offs from a distance, only. But supporting local companies, supporting local charities, and supporting neighbors - friends, family and people I've never really even talked to much before - has become an important part of my life. It's one I hope I don't entirely lose when things shift back into full gear again (I'm certainly not going to say "go back to normal").
                  Be well everyone. Let positive energy flow through you. Step out of your comfort zone to try something new and positive. Do what you can to keep yourself and everyone safe. These are what will help you stay on top of a situation that has next to no positives in it right now.

Comment

That does sound good. I have hated every moment of this virus. I'm working hard to keep myself in a positive place. But it's awful and there's no way around that. But a lot of us who have been over complicating have been forced to take things more simply, to live without abundance, and adapt. I'm fortunate because I'm not in the most affected - in illness or financially - communities at the moment. I feel it has been my responsibility to step up because of that. I'm going without some of my favorite things because they're not there or they're in short supply and, to be frank, i'll be just fine without them. I'm shopping for others and preparing food for those who can't or who just need a happy surprise. I'm NOT approaching anyone or going into anyone's house. Drop-offs from a distance, only. But supporting local companies, supporting local charities, and supporting neighbors - friends, family and people I've never really even talked to much before - has become an important part of my life. It's one I hope I don't entirely lose when things shift back into full gear again (I'm certainly not going to say "go back to normal").
                    Be well everyone. Let positive energy flow through you. Step out of your comfort zone to try something new and positive. Do what you can to keep yourself and everyone safe. These are what will help you stay on top of a situation that has next to no positives in it right now.
                    You're so right and you're so incredible! I'm so grateful that you're my friend and that you've remained such a positive light in my life. I know we're not physically neighbors but even here you're being such a great neighbor to me by offering your advice and sharing your experiences. It helps to feel less alone and to know that that there are others out there who care as much as I do and who are doing what they can (even beyond their limits) to go that extra mile and be a positive force for good in someone else's live in these dark times. Thank you, enviroTodd. Stay safe and I hope that those closest to you recognize your value as I do. <3 (side note: I really wish they had heart emojis on this forum )

Comment

You're so right and you're so incredible! I'm so grateful that you're my friend and that you've remained such a positive light in my life. I know we're not physically neighbors but even here you're being such a great neighbor to me by offering your advice and sharing your experiences. It helps to feel less alone and to know that that there are others out there who care as much as I do and who are doing what they can (even beyond their limits) to go that extra mile and be a positive force for good in someone else's live in these dark times. Thank you, enviroTodd. Stay safe and I hope that those closest to you recognize your value as I do. <3 (side note: I really wish they had heart emojis on this forum )
                      Thank you. I'm grateful to have you as a friend, too. It's good that you receive the positive light from others but don't forget that your own light shines brightly, too. This new situation has shown us that even when we're all apart, distance doesn't stop us from being close and together. You stay safe, too. ( Here is a heart emoji for you ❤️. )

Comment

awwwwww ❤️

Comment

Originally posted by M-Stark334 View Post
                          I've been supporting local, too, and it's been great! I love having all the fresh produce and better tasting meat. I think I'm going to keep supporting my local farms when all this crazy is over!
                          How do you find the local farms that will sell to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post

How do you find the local farms that will sell to you?
                            An online search should do it. Check to see if there were usually any farmers markets in your area and find out what farms contributed. You can also search your town or county with keywords like "farm" and find out what comes up. If there's anything for sale in your area, there should be some info about it online. Otherwise, you can always hop in your car and take a drive out in the country to see if there are any signs.

Comment

An online search should do it. Check to see if there were usually any farmers markets in your area and find out what farms contributed. You can also search your town or county with keywords like "farm" and find out what comes up. If there's anything for sale in your area, there should be some info about it online. Otherwise, you can always hop in your car and take a drive out in the country to see if there are any signs.
                              You might also find it helpful if you find some local farms, to look up their Facebook pages. The ones around my region talk about that sort of thing. That's especially true of any farms that participate in local farmers markets. They already likely network online with other farms, so if there are groups or individual producers selling, they're most likely talking about it on social media over pretty much anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X