Home grown potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home grown potatoes

Are potatoes you grow yourself better for you than the store bought kind? Can they be grown indoors in the winter? I've just found the most amazing potato recipes but I'm hoping to make them as nutritious as possible since potatoes aren't exactly superfoods

I think whatever you can grow yourself will also be more nutritious than what you can buy in a store. The simple reason is that you get more nutrients from something that is immediately plucked/eaten from the tree/plant compared to something that has been sitting off the tree/plant for a long time, like what you'd buy in a store. I've never thought about growing potatoes indoors but apparently you can grow them year round as long as you've got buck, soil, water and toothpicks and a window that gets direct sunlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Greenfairy View Post
      I think whatever you can grow yourself will also be more nutritious than what you can buy in a store. The simple reason is that you get more nutrients from something that is immediately plucked/eaten from the tree/plant compared to something that has been sitting off the tree/plant for a long time, like what you'd buy in a store. I've never thought about growing potatoes indoors but apparently you can grow them year round as long as you've got buck, soil, water and toothpicks and a window that gets direct sunlight.
      I've heard something similar about growing potatoes indoors. Seems to be easy if you have all the right stuff (and I think Lady Greenfairy meant a bucket...cause if you need a buck...that might get a lot more complicated for growing ). No idea what the toothpicks are for either...guess for poking holes?? Anyway, if you really want to grow potatoes, looks like you can. If you do, let me know how you like them Bethie

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

I've heard something similar about growing potatoes indoors. Seems to be easy if you have all the right stuff (and I think Lady Greenfairy meant a bucket...cause if you need a buck...that might get a lot more complicated for growing ). No idea what the toothpicks are for either...guess for poking holes?? Anyway, if you really want to grow potatoes, looks like you can. If you do, let me know how you like them Bethie
        LOL!!!

I was wondering about the toothpicks, too. Wouldn't you just need to wait until you've got a sprouted potato and then just jam it into a pot with some soil? Do you just use normal soil? That would be kind of cool!

Comment

I read you should mix your old coffee grounds into the soil to make them grow better. They need whatever it is that coffee grounds have in them. Acids? POtassium? I'm not sure but it's what you should do.

Comment

I never thought about growing potatoes indoors but it's a great idea! I love potatoes

Comment

Working...
            X