can I freeze/save onions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can I freeze/save onions?

I have a LOT of onions in my garden. Soon enough, it'll be time to harvest them...all of them. I didn't think this out. I was thinking in terms of having a ton of onions gradually, not all at once. What am I going to do with like 25 onions? Can I freeze them? How do I store them to make them last longer?

Chop them up (dice them), put them in a zipper plastic bag, take out as much of the air as possible and toss them in the freezer I also label them so I know what the "mysterious" item is in my freezer if I happen to forget about it and come across it one day and wonder what in the heck it is LOL.

Comment

I also recommend chopping them and then freezing them. You can freeze the whole bulb, too, but you need to blanch the bulb first for safe freezing.

Comment

Thanks, JennyR Sounds like a lot of work with all the ones I have, but it's better than wasting them and I guess it means I won't have to do it later so I'll be glad for that.
        Hmm, TaraNorth I'm curious because my lazy side does find it appealing to think that I won't have to chop them ALL...but I have no idea what blanching an onion means

Comment

I never thought to save onions! I don't grow them, but sometimes I buy too many. Next time, I'll chop them up and into the freezer they will go! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
            Thanks, JennyR Sounds like a lot of work with all the ones I have, but it's better than wasting them and I guess it means I won't have to do it later so I'll be glad for that.
            Hmm, TaraNorth I'm curious because my lazy side does find it appealing to think that I won't have to chop them ALL...but I have no idea what blanching an onion means

Blanching is essentially boiling vegetables. You have to scald them in boiling water for a short time (like 3 minutes). Blanching cleanses the surface of dirt and organisims, helps to keep the nutrients locked in and stops the enzyme actions that can lead to loss of color, flavor and texture. It's actually a technique that is used for freezing lots of vegetables.

Comment

Working...
            X