All local foods for a low carbon footprint Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All local foods for a low carbon footprint Christmas

Here's a cool challenge someone brought to my attention. Try using only locally sourced foods - say, from within your state - or at least as close as possible, for your Christmas table. Not only will this support your local economy but it will also shrink your carbon footprint.

I like this idea. I think because I live in a place where there's snow, it'll limit things in the winter so I can't just have local food in the winter or I'll be on carrots and potatoes until May, but I'll definitely focus on close to home and give priority to stuff that is nearest and work my way outward from there. Good idea.

Comment

Good idea both of you. It's a good idea to try to be local, but for those of us who don't live where food can be grown year round, prioritize as close to home as possible. That's smart.

Comment

That would be very hard to do. Being so used to foods from around the world and not checking labels on packaged foods for where they came from, it sounds like a lot of work to take on in very busy stores at a busy time of year. I plan to go ahead as usual over the holidays but this seems like a good learning curve to take on in the new year.

Comment

Working...
        X