What can I make with apples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I make with apples?

It's the time of year where I live where apples are really in season and you can buy bags of them for super cheap. I do like eating apples on their own, but I'd like to add them to meals or make healthy desserts with them, but I really don't know what else to make aside from apple pies or cutting up apples and adding them to salad. Are there apple desserts or other meals you can make with apples that aren't super high in fat or in calories?

Hmmm...for dessert you can make baked apples in the oven with a bit of cinnamon and sugar, apple crumble, apple cake, apple muffins...as for a meal, I really like a dish that is a mixture of bratwurst sausages, onions and apples. You cook it all in a pan and it's very good. If you want to skip out on the sausages, you can also add another vegetable or even chicken. I find when you add spice it gives it a nice zip!

Comment

Make homemade applesauce! It's easy and delicious.

Comment

Try this out. You will like it. Take green beans, sliced apples (skin on), and nutmeg. put a touch of olive oil (a really small amount) in the bottom of a skillet and dust in some nutmeg. Give that a moment to sweat a little bit and then add your green beans. allow them to fry until they are just starting to soften and become brown on the outside and then add your apple slices. Cook until the apples have softened nicely.

This also works well with brussels sprouts.

Comment

Different apples can do different things. Try baking pork chops with thin slices of a sweet apple on top, wrapping the whole thing in foil. It keeps things ultra juicy. Same goes for throwing apple and pork into a slow cooker (just add a touch of water in the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
            Try this out. You will like it. Take green beans, sliced apples (skin on), and nutmeg. put a touch of olive oil (a really small amount) in the bottom of a skillet and dust in some nutmeg. Give that a moment to sweat a little bit and then add your green beans. allow them to fry until they are just starting to soften and become brown on the outside and then add your apple slices. Cook until the apples have softened nicely.

I never thought of combining apples with vegetables. Does this work well with other veggies too? Or just beans and brussels sprouts? I guess it would give everything a kind of sweet flavour.

PennyThoughts - I love adding apple to pork dishes!

Comment

Originally posted by MeSarah View Post
              Make homemade applesauce! It's easy and delicious.

Yes! I love homemade apple sauce!!

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

Mmmm! That sounds really good. I never thought about adding apples to green veggies. I bet that would taste really good. Do u think apples would taste good with peppers 2? Have u tried that?

Comment

I hadn't thought of that, but apples probably would taste good with peppers. I would probably pick a green apple and a red pepper. The reason is not only because of the color but because green apples are more tart, since red peppers are sweet. So the two flavors would balance each other out while standing up to each other. Of course, I know one thing that I know that you would be able to add to any meal - apple or not - and that's a beautiful smile.

Comment

Thanks for all of the great tips everyone! I feel confident my apples will not go to waste now lol. I think I'm going to try the apples with the green beans tonight. Thank you, enviroTodd.

Comment

Working...
                    X