sweet potatoes and squash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet potatoes and squash

Ok I’m looking for some help from someone hwo knows something about nutrition. Is there a lot of nutrition in things like squash and sweet potato that are out at this time of the year ? If there is, does it have a lot of calories in it and is it fattening? I really like those things but I don’t want to end up filling up on them and busting up my diet.

I think that they're pretty low in calories compared to meats and foods like that, even though they're filling and nutritious and high in fiber.

Comment

They're great for you and great for diets

Comment

Squash and sweet potato are very good for you. They are highly nutritious and shouldn't hurt your dieting or weight loss goals, especially when eaten in moderation. Like any foods, it's not wise to gorge yourself on sweet potato or squash. if you intend to have it on a daily basis, I'd recommend only eating a sensible portion with one meal.

Comment

As far as I know they're really good for you. I don't think they are fattening, but I imagine that it's probably not good for you to eat too much of it. Also, I have no idea how much sugar they contain.

Comment

I've never really liked squash all that much? My mother boiled the heck out of it when I was growing up and I've never liked it since. Are there any good recipes for squash? I wouldn't mind trying it again. Also, isn't their more than one type of squash? Do you like all of them Bethie?

Comment

Originally posted by TroyBurger View Post
              I've never really liked squash all that much? My mother boiled the heck out of it when I was growing up and I've never liked it since. Are there any good recipes for squash? I wouldn't mind trying it again. Also, isn't their more than one type of squash? Do you like all of them Bethie?

Yes, there are lots of different varieties of squash. Some include buttercup squash, acorn squash, butternut squash, carnival squash, banana squash, ambercup squash, autumn cup squash, etc. You may have several varieties of squash or only a couple depending on where you live and what is locally available to you. As for how you can cook squash, try roasting it in the oven. Peel off the skin, remove the seeds, cut it up in cubes, drizzle some olive oil on it and toss it in the oven for about 35 minutes at 400 degrees F. It tastes great. My personal favorite is butternut squash.

Comment

Bethie, Squash and Sweet potato are not fattening, but the things you add to them can be. For instance, some people love adding sugar and butter to both of these vegetables and that can certainly add to the fat and calories. That said, on its own, what is known as winter squash (this includes acorn, butternut, hubbard, pumpkin, etc.) is a stratchy vegetable and is higher in carbohydrates compared to your leafy greens. That said, it's not that much higher. About a half a cup of cooked butternut squash is just over 40 calories. Also, it is highly nutritious. Many squash are high in potassium, fiber and beta and alpha carotene, which are fantastic antioxidants. Sweet Potato on the other hand is high in beta-carotene and in vitamin A. A half a cup of sweet potato is about 57 calories. Hope that helps.

Comment

I can't imagine adding sugar. My grandmother always used to add brown sugar to sweet potatoes and I just thought that made them had a candy taste. Does anyone want candy on a dinner plate? Even as a child, I thought that was too much, and I was one of those kids who used to sneak sugar directly from the bowl!

I still really like butter, though. Is there a way to replace the taste of butter when you cook sweet potatoes, or is it just a matter of cooking with a tiny bit of it?

Thank you for all of the nutrition ideas, Speeddemon. I really appreciate that. It's good to know and I find it hard to keep track of everything like that. You just see

Comment

What does acorn squash taste like? Is it as sweet as butternut squash? That's the only one I've tried.

Comment

Working...
                    X