Baked treats with reduced sugar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baked treats with reduced sugar

I’m having family over and their idea of eating as a group is to add as much salt, fat, and sugar to a meal as possible. I just don’t want to fall into that for the length of time that they will be over. Can anyone help me with an idea or a recipe for baked treats that I can serve as desserts or even as snacks that seem to have the same “fun” as brownies or cookies but that aren’t swamped in sugar? I’m hoping to get through this without putting on weight and throwing off my healthy balance. I have achieved a positive energy flow and I don’t want to lose that.

Fruit salad, jello, low-fat yogurt, fruit & low-fat yogurt parfaits with a dusting of granola.. Dark chocolate covered pretzels...those are just some ideas off the top of my head. The only thing I'd also point out is that the person who is your primary concern here is you. As long as you have self-control and don't over-indulge in all the salty sweet treats, you can serve them whatever will make them happy and stick to your usual healthy deserts. You might find it easier to do that then to try to find dessert alternatives that everyone else will like

Comment

Try fried banana or banana and crushed almonds with a drizzle of hot dark chocolate over it.

Comment

baked fruit always works. There are also a lot of low-fat and low-sugar cookie recipes you can try. I also find that, like with everything else, it's the portion size that matters. Have a small bite to taste instead of gorging on the treats. Eating one cookie isn't going to hurt, eating 7 is pretty much what you want to avoid LOL. Good luck though. I find it impossible to please everyone when I have company. I kind of agree with Tony1968 and recommend that, worse case, worry about yourself, find out what your guests like and let them eat what they want.

Comment

I have an Angel food cake recipe that uses Agave syrup instead of sugar. Agave is from the same plant as tequila & while it's sweet it isnt as high on the glycemic index as sugar so it doesnt spike blood sugar 2 much. If ur interested in the recipe i can give 2 u

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
            I have an Angel food cake recipe that uses Agave syrup instead of sugar. Agave is from the same plant as tequila & while it's sweet it isnt as high on the glycemic index as sugar so it doesnt spike blood sugar 2 much. If ur interested in the recipe i can give 2 u
            That’s very interesting to know, BabyButtons. I’ve heard of agave before and I know that it is starting to be more popular in baking and in other uses that require sweeteners, but I didn’t know that it is lower on the glycemic index as regular sugar.

I am going to look into that a little bit. It sounds like it is something that is worthwhile knowing. I suppose the question, now, is whether or not its calories are as high, whether it has health drawbacks, and how expensive it is to use. Have you found any problems with flavor, in comparison with sugar?

Comment

Its definitely sweet! Its got a nice flavor & is 1 of my favorite sugar substitutes but unfortunately it is high in calories so u need 2 watch how much u use. Its a good sugar substitute & even offers some health benefits when used reasonably but its not meant 2 be consumed in large amounts cause just like sugar it can cause weight gain & be bad 4 ur teeth.U can buy organic agave nectar at about $5 & up depending on where u shop 4 it.

Comment

Working...
              X