The "all natural" trap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "all natural" trap

I know that I come onto this forum a lot and talk about the benefits of choosing things that are all natural, but there is a difference between the “real” thing, like eating whole foods, and falling into the labeling trap. I know even certain soda companies are now putting “natural flavors” on their labels, as though they have real ginger, or real juice of some kind in them. Check out the ingredients, though. You won’t see the name of anything you recognize from a plant! The same can be said for a lot of processed foods and even diet supplements. Since I talk so much about how much better natural things are for you, I thought I’d point out that you do need to know how to spot them from among the sneaky ones that pretend to be something right off a farm, when they’re nothing better than their chemical cousins.

That's a great point enviroTodd. I'd also like to add to it by saying "all natural" also doesn't mean something is safe. Chemicals and artificial ingredients aside, just because something is organically grown or comes from a plant doesn't mean that it's safe. There's plenty of stuff in nature that isn't good for you. Therefore, don't fall for the it's all-natural so it's safe for you trap, either.

Comment

It is hard not 2 fall into that trap because were kind of brainwashed into believing that the word "natural" means that something is safe & good for us. But ur right envirotodd lots of stuff thats labeled natural isnt natural at all. Thats why its important 2 know what ur putting in ur body & to choose fresh whenever possible & to make more of ur food than buy packaged stuff. Once I stopped eating so much pre-packaged food I felt better & I started losing weight. Its so worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
        It is hard not 2 fall into that trap because were kind of brainwashed into believing that the word "natural" means that something is safe & good for us. But ur right envirotodd lots of stuff thats labeled natural isnt natural at all. Thats why its important 2 know what ur putting in ur body & to choose fresh whenever possible & to make more of ur food than buy packaged stuff. Once I stopped eating so much pre-packaged food I felt better & I started losing weight. Its so worth it!
        That’s exactly the point I was trying to make, BabyButtons. You really can’t trust the labeling. The companies behind them understand that we have built up an expectation that things that are “natural” are good for us, so they add the word, regardless of whether or not it is actually a healthy ingredient. So often, everything that was really natural about a product will have been altered and transformed until you really wouldn’t ever see that type of ingredient in nature.

Sticking to whole foods as much as possible is really the key to being healthy and losing weight, as you said. If you buy the individual ingredients instead of purchasing something that is pre-made then you will know for certain that you understand exactly what makes up all of your meals. Because if you purchase packaged foods, you really don’t know what is in them, even if the ingredients on the list look familiar.

When I want to get something that has already been made for me, I tend to go to the farmer’s market and then talk to the person who made it. It’s a great way to eat fresh and local and to really know what has gone into a certain bread or soup, or even what is in a special treat like a pie!

Comment

Thats a great idea envirotodd! Im going 2 find out if there are any local famers markets in my area & see if they sell anything. Ive always liked shopping & buying home made foods. In the city where i live there are lots of shops run by families. Its always so nice 2 support local business

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
            Thats a great idea envirotodd! Im going 2 find out if there are any local famers markets in my area & see if they sell anything. Ive always liked shopping & buying home made foods. In the city where i live there are lots of shops run by families. Its always so nice 2 support local business
            I agree. The wealthier the farmers are who are in your area, the better equipped they will be to be able to use the methods that they want for growing instead of submitting to what they have to do because it’s the absolute cheapest method and they have no other choice . It gives them the ability to genuinely care about what they are doing and to show that in the produce that they grow. Also, the closer you are to the food that you get, the less time it will spend on a truck. That’s better for hte environment and it means that there is less time from the plan to your mouth. That’s greater nutrition!

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

I agree. The wealthier the farmers are who are in your area, the better equipped they will be to be able to use the methods that they want for growing instead of submitting to what they have to do because it’s the absolute cheapest method and they have no other choice . It gives them the ability to genuinely care about what they are doing and to show that in the produce that they grow. Also, the closer you are to the food that you get, the less time it will spend on a truck. That’s better for hte environment and it means that there is less time from the plan to your mouth. That’s greater nutrition!

Exactly! Food that is fresher also tastes better I cant wait for my garden to start growing this year. I loved being able 2 pick vegetables right off the plant in my backyard! I bet youll be growing fresh veggies this year envirotodd. Have u already started?

Comment

Working...
              X