Can tofu ever get flavor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can tofu ever get flavor?

Trying so hard to eat more tofu. But the stuff is flavorless. Is there any way to put flavor in it without high calorie sauces? I just don’t get how to put the flavor inside it. I can make the outside ok but the inside is so bland.

I honestly can't stand the stuff. I don't like the texture or the taste it leaves in my mouth. That said, my guess is you could give it flavor by adding it to something with flavor like soup or noodles.I would treat it like a white chicken breast (which also lacks flavor) It's what you put on it or cook it in that infuses it with the good tasting stuff.

Comment

If you really want to make your tofu flavorful, don’t use oil with your marinades. If you use oil, all the flavor you add will slip off your tofu, it’ll never sink in. The oil creates a sort-of barrier. Instead, use vinegar, citrus juice (lemon or lime) or a stock. You could use soy sauce too, of course, but this tends to be high in salt (even the low sodium ones) so you might not want to use that depending on the type of diet you want to follow or if you’re trying to control your salt. If you’re going to pan-fry your tofu, you can also coat it in cornstarch after it’s been marinated to further lock in the flavor! Best of luck. I love tofu!!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
        If you really want to make your tofu flavorful, don’t use oil with your marinades. If you use oil, all the flavor you add will slip off your tofu, it’ll never sink in. The oil creates a sort-of barrier. Instead, use vinegar, citrus juice (lemon or lime) or a stock. You could use soy sauce too, of course, but this tends to be high in salt (even the low sodium ones) so you might not want to use that depending on the type of diet you want to follow or if you’re trying to control your salt. If you’re going to pan-fry your tofu, you can also coat it in cornstarch after it’s been marinated to further lock in the flavor! Best of luck. I love tofu!!
        That's exactly right. If you want flavor in your tofu you have to make sure you added it before it hits the pan. You need to marinade it in something water-based not oil-based, just like you said. vinegars, stock, juice, or even tea can infuse flavor right into the tofu. Give it a good length of time to fully absorb and you'll get more flavor into it. Yes, you can cut into your tofu and cook it right before you want to serve it, but a bit of advance planning goes a long way.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

That's exactly right. If you want flavor in your tofu you have to make sure you added it before it hits the pan. You need to marinade it in something water-based not oil-based, just like you said. vinegars, stock, juice, or even tea can infuse flavor right into the tofu. Give it a good length of time to fully absorb and you'll get more flavor into it. Yes, you can cut into your tofu and cook it right before you want to serve it, but a bit of advance planning goes a long way.
          I also agree that the longer you allow the tofu to marinate the better it will taste! The same can be said about a lot of foods. That's why leftovers taste so great

Comment

I also agree that the longer you allow the tofu to marinate the better it will taste! The same can be said about a lot of foods. That's why leftovers taste so great
            That's very true. Often leftovers taste even better than the original meal when you've freshly made it. Another point that i feel is important for imparting flavor into tofu is to make sure you drain it properly and dry it. It's a nuisance of a step but it makes a big difference. Push out as much excess liquid as you can and let it sit before doing it again. Then do your marinating. That will help the tofu to be able to absorb more of the flavored liquid because it won't be as full of its own liquid from storage.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

That's very true. Often leftovers taste even better than the original meal when you've freshly made it. Another point that i feel is important for imparting flavor into tofu is to make sure you drain it properly and dry it. It's a nuisance of a step but it makes a big difference. Push out as much excess liquid as you can and let it sit before doing it again. Then do your marinating. That will help the tofu to be able to absorb more of the flavored liquid because it won't be as full of its own liquid from storage.

That's a really good tip. I'm going to keep that in mind the next time I make it. I also wanted to know. Have you ever had tofu burgers enviroTodd?

Comment

I always soak my tofu in tea. Green tea or black tea or even flavored. WHatever you want to match your meal. There are so many tea flavors it's easy to take advantage of the way they soak into the tofu.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
                  I always soak my tofu in tea. Green tea or black tea or even flavored. WHatever you want to match your meal. There are so many tea flavors it's easy to take advantage of the way they soak into the tofu.

Drew that is so clever! I've never thought of doing that. I bet that would taste amazing, especially green tea. Thanks so much for such a great tip!

Comment

Drew that is so clever! I've never thought of doing that. I bet that would taste amazing, especially green tea. Thanks so much for such a great tip!
                    You're right. Come to think of it, I wonder what it would taste like if you added cranberry tea to it and served it next month at Thanksgiving

Comment

Oh my gosh I bet it would taste amazing! I'm so going to try it - truly I am! I'll let you guys know how it will turn out. In fact, I think I might test it first just to make sure it's not actually gross hahaha.

Comment

Working...
                      X