cooking with tea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cooking with tea

am I nuts or is it possible to get benefits of tea by cooking pasta or rice in it instead of drinking it as an actual cup of tea? It seems to me that it would be the same thing. Like if you put your tea in a smoothie instead of drinking it straight.

I think you will get some benefits from it, but unless you actually drink the tea in which you're boiling your food (for instance if it were a broth for a soup, etc.) you're not going to get the full benefits. Then again I guess you would in the case of rice, since it absorbs all the water but with something like pasta, I doubt it would be any real benefit. Does that make sense?

Comment

I think using tea to make rice and using it in a smoothie or anything where you will consume all of it is a great idea. I agree with TroyBurger in that I don't really see it adding any real benefit to cooking pasta in tea, unless the tea is the substitute for stock or water that you're using in a sauce That said, I highly recommend you try rice that has been cooked in jasmine green tea! It tastes wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
        I think using tea to make rice and using it in a smoothie or anything where you will consume all of it is a great idea. I agree with TroyBurger in that I don't really see it adding any real benefit to cooking pasta in tea, unless the tea is the substitute for stock or water that you're using in a sauce That said, I highly recommend you try rice that has been cooked in jasmine green tea! It tastes wonderful
        What kind of rice did you use to make the delicious jasmine green tea rice? Did you actually use jasmine rice or did you have something else? I'm curious and I'd like to give it a try.

Comment

I used jasmine rice. First I brewed the tea. I boiled water and let actual loose jasmine tea leaves steep in the water for 5 minutes. I then cooked the rice in the brewed tea, bringing it to a boil and then reducing the temperature to low to let the rice absorb all the tea. You then just fluff it with a fork and eat it. Oh! And I add a touch of coarse salt to bring out the flavor even more. It's really quite nice

Comment

Wow I'm going to have to try that. When you said jasmine rice, thought you meant actual jasmine rice - the fragrant rice type - and then just using green tea or something like that. Your way sounds very tasty. The jasmine would really be brought to the next level. What do you serve with it? I guess nothing floral or it would taste like eating a bouquet of flowers haha. Do you have fish with it?

Comment

Working...
            X