Everything homemade is better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Everything homemade is better

It may seem like making certain things at home is just taking a lot of time to get the same thing you could get in the store in a few seconds while you're already shopping. It's not true. When you make things at home you control your ingredients and know exactly what's in it. You can skip preservatives and decide whether you want to add sugar and how much. You can use far higher quality ingredients than you'd likely get from factory-made products. Don't fall for packaging. Making things at home is better.
    What's your homemade food that you're proud of not buying in its processed form?
    At this time of year, mine's bone broth.

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
    It may seem like making certain things at home is just taking a lot of time to get the same thing you could get in the store in a few seconds while you're already shopping. It's not true. When you make things at home you control your ingredients and know exactly what's in it. You can skip preservatives and decide whether you want to add sugar and how much. You can use far higher quality ingredients than you'd likely get from factory-made products. Don't fall for packaging. Making things at home is better.
    What's your homemade food that you're proud of not buying in its processed form?
    LOL LOL I'm only laughing but I literally just asked a question on the forum about making broths/stocks from scratch hahaha. I'd love to know more about the bone broth you make! That said, I do agree that everything homemade is better for you. I think my favorite thing that I make that's homemade is salad dressing.

Comment

For me it's bread! I love making my own bread at home. It's fresh, smells awesome when it's baking and I know exactly what I'm putting in it!!

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
        Mmmm bone broth! My favorite homemade meal this time of year is chicken vegetable stirfry with rice noodles. In the summer I'd have to say it's my homemade sorbet or sherbet.

Comment

Originally posted by Freddy View Post

LOL LOL I'm only laughing but I literally just asked a question on the forum about making broths/stocks from scratch hahaha. I'd love to know more about the bone broth you make! That said, I do agree that everything homemade is better for you. I think my favorite thing that I make that's homemade is salad dressing.
          Bone broth is extremely easy to make. If you have an instant pot it will be the easiest, but a slower cooker will do the trick, too.
          All you need is bones. The cheapest one your farmer or butcher can provide. Pork neck bones, pork feet/trotters, chicken feet, a chicken or turkey carcass, beef bones. Whatever flavor you want and whatever you can get your hands on. Toss them all into the pot (if it's the instant pot, they can even be frozen).
          Add water to the max line and add your herbs. I like bay leaves and savory. you can always do the parsley/sage/rosemary classic combo, too. Throw bay leaves in there, too.
          Add a tablespoon or two of good quality apple cider vinegar. You won't taste it, but it will help to strip the nutrients out of the bones. It makes a difference.
          In a slow cooker, put it on for at least 24 hours.
          In an instant pot, put it on for at least 2 hours.
          I like a lower-fat, clearer broth, so once mine's done, I put it in the fridge overnight. In the morning, I scoop off the fat that has risen to the top and hardened. If you want to leave the fat in your broth, all you need to do is store it as you normally would without chilling it overnight.
          It's really easy. I always have jars of it in my freezer.

Comment

Working...
          X