How much calcium is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much calcium is too much?

I try to aim for 100 to 150 percent of my calcium needs every day. Is it possible to go too far?

I'd say that you shouldn't go over 150 percent. That should be your max

Comment

Yes it is possible to go too far. Taking in too much calcium isn't good for you. You could end up with kidney stones, a buildup of calcium in your blood vessels, and have trouble absorbing zinc among other issues. On average, you should aim for between 1,000 - 2,000 mg of calcium a day. To find out more specifically what your calcium requirements are for your age and gender, talk to your doctor.

Comment

Yikes! I had no idea that too much calcium could cause so many problems. Thanks for the heads up there Freddy.

Comment

I'd stick to around 100%. You really don't want to make a habit of ingesting more than you need. As Freddy pointed out, too much calcium can lead to a whole mess of unwanted problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Firefly77 View Post
            I'd stick to around 100%. You really don't want to make a habit of ingesting more than you need. As Freddy pointed out, too much calcium can lead to a whole mess of unwanted problems.
            True, but it's probably better to go slightly over than slightly under

Comment

This is interesting. I always knew that calcium was important but I never knew that it could be dangerous to your health if you got too much and I didn't know that it's important to aim higher than 100%. I love this forum! I've learned so much!!!

Comment

Working...
              X