is rice nutritious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is rice nutritious?

I've always been curious about something. Is rice actually good for you? I know that whole grain rice is better for you than white rice, but what kind of nutritional value does it offer? Is it good for weight loss at all?

Rice can be good for you but it depends on the type that you choose. For example, white rice has a far lower nutrition level than whole grain rice, brown rice, or even basmati rice. Many of the types of rice that are better for you take longer to cook which is why many people don’t actually like them. They also often have a harder texture. I have found that now that I am used to healthier rice varieties, white rice just seems to be mushy and I don’t like its softness anymore. There is something very pleasing about the texture of healthier rice, to me. Plus you get a lot more fiber out of it so that you will enjoy a far healthier digestive system.

Comment

I agree with enviroTodd. Non-white rice can be quite nutritious for you. However, it does take some getting used to if you are used the softer and more mushy rice. I also like rice that has a firmer texture. Basmati rice is probably my favourite and whole grain. I'm not really a brown rice fan. I'd recommend trying basmati first.

Comment

Rice is really good for you. I can admit that I'm personally a fan of the old fashioned white stuff that's not the best for you. I like the soft and mushy texture. I find that brown rice is just too hard and it doesn't cook right. It reminds me of whole wheat pasta, which I also don't like. That said, if you do really want the most nutritious rice you need to go whole grain.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
          Rice can be good for you but it depends on the type that you choose. For example, white rice has a far lower nutrition level than whole grain rice, brown rice, or even basmati rice. Many of the types of rice that are better for you take longer to cook which is why many people don’t actually like them. They also often have a harder texture. I have found that now that I am used to healthier rice varieties, white rice just seems to be mushy and I don’t like its softness anymore. There is something very pleasing about the texture of healthier rice, to me. Plus you get a lot more fiber out of it so that you will enjoy a far healthier digestive system.

I really like basmati rice 2! I also like firmer rice. Aside from being healthier I dont feel like i have a ball of glue in my stomach when i eat it like i do when i eat white rice lol.

Comment

Basmati rice is an aromatic rice so it is different from the standard white variety. It is also one that is naturally white without having to be bleached out, so you will save your body and spirit all of the chemicals that are associated with that process that really aren't good for you.

I personally enjoy it not only because of its nutritional benefits and because it tastes good, but also because of the texture. I like a firmer rice like you do, BabyButtons, but I also like that it's not sticky. Each grain keeps itself apart from the others so that it isn't like eating baby food. When you add a starch to a meal, it it always nice to have something with a little bit of substance instead of just a pile of mash or mush.

Comment

Hmmm...I might try that Basmati rice. I have to admit that I do like white rice better than brown and whole grain because I find those ones to be too hard and they don't quite cook right. Thanks for all of the information.

Comment

Working...
              X