Healthiest veggies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthiest veggies

I was inspired by a previous post made by BabyButtons, when we had previously been discussing kohlrabi and she asked about other different types of rare or exotic veggies that are good for you. I thought that I would get the ball rolling here to discuss all kinds of veggies that we should be eating but that we have likely been walking right by in the grocery store.

I wonder if any of you have eaten Broccoli Rabe (pronounced “broccoli rob”. It’s green and sold in stalks and is high in lutein (good for your eyes) as well as vitamin C, and is also shockingly high in protein.

Never heard of that. Broccoli Rabe is something sold in your local grocery store?

Comment

Fiddleheads are another odd vegetable that is quite healthy for you. They are often used in dishes in New England. I had them for the first time when I visited one of my cousins in Maine. They look like green beans that roll up into a curl like a lollipop (yes that was a weird description). They are really nutritious and are high in omega-3, fiber and are an anti-oxidant super-food!

Comment

Mm Ive never tried brocolli rabe can u get that at local stores? Do u know how 2 cook them?

I have tried fiddlheads & they r good.

Comment

Those sound like seriously weird vegetables. Alright, I've got a question for all of you uber-healthy vegetable experts, what would you say is the healthiest vegetable that you can find at your local grocery store (I mean basics that most people would find like carrots, cucumbers, celery, zucchini etc.)

Comment

Fiddleheads are great! I enjoy them in salads quite a bit. I don't think that they are good all year long, but when they are in season, they are especially delicious. Broccoli rabe is really easy to cook and you can prepare it a lot of ways. Just think of it in the same way that you would cook broccoli or rapini. Steamed, stir fried,chopped up and raw, etc.

Comment

Working...
            X