Dried fruits versus fresh/frozen fruit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dried fruits versus fresh/frozen fruit

I'm curious about something. Are dried fruits just as nutritious for you as fresh or frozen fruit? If not, what makes them less nutritious. Thanks.

I think dried fruits have more sugar in them, but I think they are still healthy for you.

Comment

I always thought they were just as nutritious, as long as they've been properly dried and not coated in extra sugar or anything. But, then again I have heard that a fruit loses it's nutrients over time which is why it's best to eat it soon after it's picked. Hmm...good question.

Comment

Actually, natural dried fruits (with zero additives) have no more sugar or calories in them than their equivalent fresh version. They are just as nutritious and are a good source of fiber, potassium, iron and antioxidants. What is important if you plan to consume dried fruit, is that you adjust your serving size. Dried fruit is dehydrated, so it doesn't contain the juice that is in the fresh variety. As such, less is more. To put that into perspective, a 1/4 cup of dried apricots is the equivalent to 1 cup of fresh apricots. Therefore, a quarter cup of dried fruit is considered 1 serving of fruit. I think the biggest issue with dried fruit is you've got to be careful you don't consume too much...cause then you might end up on the toilet...a lot

Comment

I really like dried fruits. Especially prunes cranberries & bananas. But ya u got 2 be careful u dont overdo it hahaha.

Comment

frozen fruits are more nutritious. They hold onto all of the nutrition that they had when they were frozen. They also contain all of the water (which is important to nutrition) that they contained when they were picked, and they didn't lose any of the water soluble nutrients that could be lost in the drying process.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
              frozen fruits are more nutritious. They hold onto all of the nutrition that they had when they were frozen. They also contain all of the water (which is important to nutrition) that they contained when they were picked, and they didn't lose any of the water soluble nutrients that could be lost in the drying process.

I agree. The only thing I'd add to that, however, is that they are only more nutritious depending on when they were frozen. If they were picked and freezed immediately then yes, they are definitley more nutritious, but if they weren't frozen right away, some of their nutrition is gone. Essentially, in terms of fruit and nutrition, the fresher the better.

Comment

Wow I think I'm more confused, especially when it comes to frozen and dried fruits. I get that fresh fruits would be the best for you (and the fresher the better) but I've done a little research and have also read that dried fruits are just as healthy as fresh/frozen fruits. However, what envrioTodd has said about frozen fruits also make a lot of sense...I guess as long as I'm eating some type of fruit and more fresh than not, I'm doing alright LOL

Comment

Working...
                X