Caramel color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caramel color

I've got a question. I know that caramel color, the stuff they add to beverages and foods like cola and pancake syrup is bad for you and stuff, but what I want to know is why is it bad for you? Like, what is is in this ingredient that makes it so unhealthy for you. If it's just coloring, how can it be that unhealthy?

The chemical, itself, that they call "caramel color" is actually 4 substances, two of which contain a chemical called 4-MeI that has potential cancer causing properties. In fact, here in california, they're supposed to label foods as cancer causers if they contain more than a certain amount of it - although they don't always do it. However, if you think about it, you're not just eating it in one thing, anyway. It's in a TON of foods. It's in sodas (any brown sodas, really), it's in sauces such as bbq sauce, and a lot of processed foods. If you look through your fridge and read the ingredients in products, you'll be shocked at where you find it. So because you're not eating it in just one thing, you're eating it in many things, you're getting a far higher dose than the californial labeling limit that has been placed on these products.It's not just color. The problem is that products don't need to list "caramel color". They might just say "artificial coloring". Or if they do say "caramel color" they don't say whether or not the 4-MeI is in it. I'd recommend dodging products with any artificial colors, as much as possible. Here's a Consumer Reports article and video about it: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...soda/index.htm
    Last edited by enviroTodd; 02-27-2016, 12:46 PM.

Comment

I think I'm off cola for a while...

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
        The chemical, itself, that they call "caramel color" is actually 4 substances, two of which contain a chemical called 4-MeI that has potential cancer causing properties. In fact, here in california, they're supposed to label foods as cancer causers if they contain more than a certain amount of it - although they don't always do it. However, if you think about it, you're not just eating it in one thing, anyway. It's in a TON of foods. It's in sodas (any brown sodas, really), it's in sauces such as bbq sauce, and a lot of processed foods. If you look through your fridge and read the ingredients in products, you'll be shocked at where you find it. So because you're not eating it in just one thing, you're eating it in many things, you're getting a far higher dose than the californial labeling limit that has been placed on these products.It's not just color. The problem is that products don't need to list "caramel color". They might just say "artificial coloring". Or if they do say "caramel color" they don't say whether or not the 4-MeI is in it. I'd recommend dodging products with any artificial colors, as much as possible. Here's a Consumer Reports article and video about it: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...soda/index.htm

I had no idea that caramel color didn't need to be listed and that they could just hide it in "artificial coloring" that's really scary! Thank you for pointing all of this out, enviroTodd! I always feel like I learn something new when you respond to someones question or comment. I wish I had more friends who were as intelligent and thoughtful as you

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

I had no idea that caramel color didn't need to be listed and that they could just hide it in "artificial coloring" that's really scary! Thank you for pointing all of this out, enviroTodd! I always feel like I learn something new when you respond to someones question or comment. I wish I had more friends who were as intelligent and thoughtful as you
          It is scary, isn't it? It's also important to know that only 2 of the 4 kinds of caramel color are bad. The other two aren't good but they're not necessarily cancer causers. It would be very nice if labeling was much more clear on our food products. Until I feel I really know what is inside packaged goods, I avoid them as much as I can and stick to whole foods and organics when I can. I intend to grow a lot of my vegetables, this year. More than I have in the past.

Comment

Wow I'm glad I got the answers...but now I'm kinda freaked I asked it LOL. I think I'm off cola now, too Bruce!

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post

It is scary, isn't it? It's also important to know that only 2 of the 4 kinds of caramel color are bad. The other two aren't good but they're not necessarily cancer causers. It would be very nice if labeling was much more clear on our food products. Until I feel I really know what is inside packaged goods, I avoid them as much as I can and stick to whole foods and organics when I can. I intend to grow a lot of my vegetables, this year. More than I have in the past.

I'm also going to grow more vegetables this year! I'm even going to try for some fruits too, like strawberries and there's a place where I can buy a little lemon tree! I can't wait until I can start planting Nothing is better than growing your own food!!!

Comment

Can you grow things like lemon trees in places where there is a winter with snow, or are they only for places where it's warm year-round?

Comment

I love growing strawberries! Just be careful because they will VERY quickly take over your whole garden…and lawn.

Comment

Working...
                  X